Barred Rock Sex Link?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Tkoop741, Dec 25, 2012.

1. Tkoop741

Tkoop741 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 25, 2012
    Tyler, Texas
    I was given some chicks from a friend. I *think* I have these figured out. There are 4 black chicks and 2 black and white barred chicks. I know she had Barred Rocks which crossed with a Rhode Island Red. That makes them "Sex Link" right? So I may have 4 hens and 2 roos. I couldn't get a good picture of the all black ones (they tend to get "herded" by the 2 black/white ones) but here is what I have:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thoughts?

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

The usual way this cross is used is to make Black Sex Links, with the Red (gold) rooster used over a Barred Rock hen. This produces chicks with males = head spot and females = no head spot. Later, the difference is really obvious as the cockerels will look similar to a Barred Rock (thanks mom) and the pullets being black with copper breasts (thanks dad).

If the Barred Rock is put over a Red (gold) hen, the result isn't considered a sex-link, that I know of. Some will favor the cock and some the hen and some will "mix".

1 person likes this.
  3. Tkoop741

Dec 25, 2012
    Tyler, Texas
    The Mom was a barred rock and the dad was a RIR Rooster from what I understand. She only has 1 rooster that is a RIR.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2012
  4. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    The barred ones are males and the black are females. A RIR over BR hens = sex links.

1 person likes this.
  5. Tkoop741

Dec 25, 2012
    Tyler, Texas
    Awesome! That's what I was hoping :) Thanks

6. Tkoop741

Dec 25, 2012
    Tyler, Texas
    Just heard from the "hatcher" that the all black ones are Austrolopes - not Barred Rock crosses. So still not sure of gender.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    They could be either one, really. A black sex link female chick could look just like a rir/australop cross chick of either gender.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by