Barred rock, sex linked, or mutts?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by momgoose, Apr 1, 2012.

1. momgoose

momgoose Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2012
    NE Tucson
    These two were sold to me as barred rocks. I have no clue. They were also supposed to be sexed as pullets too, but again, I guess I'll find out eventually. They are about 3-4 weeks old.[​IMG]

Above front is the more strikingly marked, smaller chick. Both have the darkish legs and black on beak.

[​IMG]
    In this pic front chick is larger, has larger comb and again black top of beak. Sorry about pic quality. Old camera. If you need specific views let me know.
    Thanks for any expert opinions!

2. LILCHIKBIGCHIK

LILCHIKBIGCHIK Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2012
    South of Boston
    I hope pullets, your two look identical to my 3 week old Barred Rock

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  3. momgoose

momgoose Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2012
    NE Tucson
    Thanks Lilchick...! So maybe I'm in luck and actually have what I thought I bought at the feed store. I have since bought three more 1 day old chicks two of which are allegedly Americanas and one definitely looks like an Orphington. Would you recognize those two breeds? I can post pictures.
    Terri

4. LILCHIKBIGCHIK

LILCHIKBIGCHIK Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2012
    South of Boston
    No, I'm new to the chicken game and only have Barred Rocks and Black Australorps for about a month

5. Barred4Life

Barred4Life Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2012
    They look like my Barred Rock that I think are pullets, so I'm gonna hope you got exacly what you asked for...so that can make two of us [​IMG]

6. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

Barred rock Pullets [​IMG]

7. Sunnysimplelife

Sunnysimplelife Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    SoCal
    My Coop
    Oh this is my same exact predicament. One acts very rooster like and I have two that look identical but I am a newbie so what do I know. Half the folks said they thought BR pullets and half sex link roos. I am struggling with what to do as well as I can not have roos and want at least four hens for laying. I am wondering if I should run out and pick up two more chicks tomorrow so they will be close in age but so I at least end up with 3 hens. Torture isn't it? Here's is a pic of one of them at three weeks.
    [​IMG]

8. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    The chick in the 2nd picture looks rooish to me. It has a pretty big comb at 4-5 weeks to be a pullet [​IMG]

Oh, and I'm betting they're rocks too.

9. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Pure BR's have yellow legs. These birds look to have white legs, which would make them most likely mixes.

10. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

didnt notice the legs. They could be hatchery barred rock in which they could get white legs. or they are cukoo marans

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by