Barred Rock Sexing- Please Help!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by GentlyLiving, Apr 9, 2012.

1. GentlyLiving

GentlyLiving Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2012
    Hello everyone. I know there are some really experienced Barred Rock people out there that will be able to tell me for sure if these are pullets or cockerels. I only have the two BRs so I don't have much to compare to, but they look much lighter than I expected and I am getting nervous. I got them from a local store and they only carry sexed pullets, so I can't believe that I had the bad luck to pick two roos. They are about four weeks old. They have much lighter tummies than backs. They both have a bit of grey on the feet, but not very dark. I don't want to get rid of them until I am really sure, but I also REALLY can't have anyone start crowing because I am pretty sure I am not allowed to have a rooster. So can anyone tell me... roos or hens? Also, when to barred rocks generally start to crow? I have heard everything from three weeks to three months. Thanks for the help!

Chick #1
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chick #2
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Aeropennchick

Aeropennchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Southern PA
    The barring on the males that I have seen on this site at that age was more uniform. I can't see the second one too well because the light is so bright, but I think the first one is probably a pullet.

I found this on another post - hope it helps!

3. GentlyLiving

Jan 20, 2012
    Thanks! That is nice to hear! Their bodies look about the same, the second one just has fewer feathers in on his/her head. I have seen this picture before, it just seems like mine are in between the two [​IMG]

4. GentlyLiving

Jan 20, 2012
    Can anyone else weigh in? I'd love to have a bunch of opinions

5. Coop Deville

Coop Deville Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2012
    I don't think hens ever get that silver. But then again, I've never seen silvering on just the front half of a barred rock. Are you sure about the bloodlines?

6. texas75563

texas75563 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2012
    Linden, Texas
    I don't see the wattles on them thats a good sign. You will be able to see wattles if you look close. I can't tell the color of the combs from the pictures. Are the combs a yellowish color? From what I see, I'm saying pullets. Say the combs are yellowish and its a definate.

Coop Deville is right. Front is more like penciling instead of barring.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  7. hearts34

hearts34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2012
    Blount county, AL
    I have been told on day old barred rock chicks that if there is a little white spot on the back part of the head, it's a hen.

That doesn't help you much.LOL On chicks the size of yours, if the comb on one is much larger than the rest, and wattles below beak are showing much at all, he's a roo. If small combs and little or no wattles below beak, I would lean towards them being hens.

8. GentlyLiving

Jan 20, 2012
    Totally not sure about the bloodlines. These came from a local feed store. Any guesses what they are if not barred rocks?

9. GentlyLiving

Jan 20, 2012
    Yellow combs. Maybe a little pinkish on the head just under the comb (like where it attaches?). Oh I would soooo love if these are really hens! They are totally sweet!

10. texas75563

texas75563 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2012
    Linden, Texas
    Barred rocks both the males and females have the white spots on their heads. One is supposed to be more defined and the other blotchier. I'm not sure which 1 is which. The black sex links, the males have the white spot on their heads.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by