Barred Rock sexing?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MyMonsters91, Feb 5, 2016.

1. MyMonsters91

MyMonsters91 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2015
    So I hatched my first babies in the last 3 days and I have a few pure Barred Rock breeds and I know the first few days are the most important for IDing sex. Any guesses?!
    Also, does anyone know if Barred Rock mixes (father being the BR) will have the same spot-sexing method?

Here's my full BR babies:

Baby1: Cucco
    [​IMG]

Baby2: Fi
    [​IMG]

Baby3: Minda
    [​IMG]

Baby4: Zebra
    [​IMG]

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Check out this thread: "Sight Sexing Barred Plymouth Rock Chicks at Hatch". Enter the title in the forum navigation bar, and it'll give you the info you seek!!!

3. jstan

jstan Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2015
    There is also a way by looking at the wing feathers. One row is rooster two rows is a hen, or vise versa. Id have to look it up to be sure but i always found that to be really accurate. You do this before they are 5-6 days old

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  4. MyMonsters91

Aug 17, 2015
    Yeah, I was looking at that page earlier. All 4 of my pure BR ones look male to me. Pale feet as well. Creme around the white spots. Black noses on most of them, though, and I thought males were supposed to have more yellow beaks.

What about mixed breeds if dad is the BR? Is the spot test reliable on those?

5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I agree. I think you have 4 rowdy little boys! Pale feet clinches the hunch that was based on feathers! Mixed breed, w/BR dad, not sure. You might ask on the BR thread. There must be some folks there who've used BR roos over their mixed flocks. Dark roo over BR hen = black sex link chicks.

6. MyMonsters91

Aug 17, 2015
    I know about the BR hen/ solid roo = sex link, but I only have the one roo. Sex link sounds fun. :)
    I'll take your recommendation and go ask about the BR roo mixes :)

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I agree they all look like males from what I can see. Hope we're wrong [​IMG].

Putting a barred Rock male over non-barred females voids the rules of sexing barred birds. Each of the offspring will have only one barring gene, so they'll all have the look of a pure barred Rock female. The rules are based on males having two copies of the barring gene and the females having only one. If they all have only one, they all look the same.

8. MyMonsters91

Aug 17, 2015
    Awesome, thanks. :) Guess I'll be waiting for my mixes to grow combs :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by