Barred Rock Sexing

sklr112

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 23, 2010
Hey.

At what age do barred rock cockerels start to develop combs? Trying to figure out how many cockerels I have.

-Thanks.

You can actually sex barred rocks the moment you receive them as day old chicks by the size of the dot on their heads.
wink.png

They arent purebred, thats the thing. 4 of them have the bars, the other six are all black. The hens are purebred but the roo is barred rock and something else, unknown.

The barred ones look like cockerels, dont they?
58418_img_0035.jpg

58418_img_0034.jpg

58418_img_0033.jpg

58418_img_0032.jpg

a good but not accurate way to guess...is if chicks are same age..most roosters will have thicker legs & larger feet then the girls..roos will start to redden up more as waddlers developes..also comb.. on clean legged large breeds the spur is higher up the leg for boys, girls closer to foot...but..is just my way of guessing....% wise i guess pretty good..but..lol..sometimes i completely blow it !!!

Thanks for the info. The black ones seem to follow your guidelines, I'm hoping they will be hens!
smile.png

Sexing Barred rock chicks can be a bit tricky. Males are lighter in color as adults, and as a baby often have a large, messy white spot on the top of their heads. Females are darker in color as adults, and tend to have a smaller, neater white spot on their heads as chicks.

Also, check out leg color. Females have more shading where males have little or no shading...

imag002.jpg

your barreds are all males...

Last edited:
Quote:
Sounds like you have black sex links. (but the mother would have to be the barred one) In that case, all barred chicks would be male, and all black chicks would be female.

Thank you Blackbird12 and Happy Chooks for the info. You are positive the blacks are female. I really do hope so. I rather have 6 hens, then 4 hens lol.

Back
Top Bottom