1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Barred Rock, Silkies and Americaunas

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by h0m3gr0wn, Dec 18, 2012.

1. h0m3gr0wn

h0m3gr0wn Out Of The Brooder

Nov 12, 2012
    Hi All,

How are your Barred Rocks? Are they 'noisy'? I notice they aren't listed as 'quiet' in the breed descriptions. I think they are beautiful! We are getting a couple Americaunas for sure, but the local store has barred rocks and now I want one, hhaha. They also have Silkies, but said they don't lay much. They said the Silkies make good pets, I think we would appreciate a hen that is pet-like.

2. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    My Barred rocks are still fairly young so they don't crow much yet, but yes BRs are pretty loud. If you live on a quarter acre property with Neighbours close by, Then they are not the best pick. But Barred Rocks are friendly and good natured as well!!!
    Hope that helps!!!
    Good Luck!!
    [​IMG]

3. ChickenLeg

ChickenLeg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    I have ameraucanas, barred rocks, and silkies.
    If I was you I would buy only barred rock pullets and no silkies.
    Only buy silkies and ameraucanas from breeders who have the good stuff [​IMG]

4. h0m3gr0wn

h0m3gr0wn Out Of The Brooder

Nov 12, 2012
    What does that mean, the good stuff? I can't do barrred rocks. I really do need to stick with birds that are quiet and do well in confinement as we have a small yard and won't be able to allow them to run around it, outside of the run we are going to build them, often. Can someone tell me how to 'search' the internet in order to find suppliers of chickens? I am not sure if I am breaking rules, but we are going to be getting chickens in a few weeks and other than going to the feed store that offers chicks I am at a loss. Is there a web site dedicated to finding chicken suppliers/farmers?

5. ChickenLeg

ChickenLeg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    I meant good quality birds as the good stuff. Silkies are great for small areas! You can search craigslist in the spring for local breeders, or search and contact your local poultry club.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by