1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Barred Rock standard and breeding questions

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by LittlenRedHen782, Jun 26, 2011.

1. LittlenRedHen782

LittlenRedHen782 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    South Jordan UT
    I was wondering about standard coloring on BR. I have one 6 week old BR who is almost completely black and just wondering how common the coloring is. Also what is the most likely out come of breeding her with this roster?

Mrs. Peppers
    [​IMG]

Rock the Barred Rock Roo [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

She might lighten/brighten up with time. Many do.

That said, where did you get the chicks? Feed store? Local source?
    Few of our BRs are show quality and far fewer resemble the heritage birds of old line breeders. What you'd get if you bred them is more of what you have, quite likely. Average hatchery quality birds. Nothing wrong with that though.

3. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    Too young to tell, really. From the look of your birds (especially male) they are the production version of Barred Plymouth Rocks. So, if I am correct, they will not have the same Barring that the standard bred/heritage birds have. But, they will be better layers. To be sure, could you tell me where you got your birds?
    Currently, I don't have any pics of my BPR chicks, but I will tell you that some of the pullets started out with some darker wind feathers. never mind, I found one. She is looking much better now:
    [​IMG]

4. LittlenRedHen782

Mar 28, 2009
    South Jordan UT
    I got them from Mcmurray along with 8 others and I totally fallen in love with the breed. [​IMG] They have more personality than my others and most of them love to be held. By the end of the summer Rock will get his own house with peppers, my white EE/Aruanca(sp?) and at least two other girls yet to be selected. [​IMG]

5. LittlenRedHen782

Mar 28, 2009
    South Jordan UT
    Such a pretty girl. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by