1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

barred rock still not laying...........she did today!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by momofchicks, Sep 9, 2011.

1. momofchicks

momofchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    Kentucky
    I have several hens one in particular is my barred rock who has had a huge red comb and wattles for over a month, she's constantly talking and still has not layed an egg. I know because we only have green eggs so far. They are all 22 weeks. The green egg layer (not sure who yet) has been laying since 20 weeks. What is my BR's deal? [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 9, 2011
  2. BrokenRoadFarm

BrokenRoadFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2011
    North Central NC
    Our BR is 26 weeks and still hasn't laid an egg...guess she is a late bloomer [​IMG] Our Production Red started at 24 weeks, and one of our two New Hampshires started the following week...just have to be patient I guess! [​IMG]

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    22 weeks is still really young for laying, especially for a large breed. She'll start laying when her body is ready.

4. allpeepedout

allpeepedout Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I am new to chickens, but the general information I read in preparation said that 6 months is an average start of lay, so that is a reasonable expectation. But some will fall before that age and some after, which is normal.

I read also that the heritage breeds tend to start later, tend to have fewer reproductive problems, and tend to lay longer. So starting a bit later may be A Good Thing. That said, my BRs started at 19-20 wks and now their eggs are getting huge! [​IMG]

5. dbounds10

dbounds10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    My BRs started at 21 weeks, but I have an EE and a Brahma that have not started and they are 26.5 weeks old! It's killing me!

6. Florida_country_boy

Florida_country_boy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    I have 3 BR's and two of them started laying in July, one still isn't laying and still hasn't developed any wattles or comb and is 27 weeks old, maybe I got a dud. lol

7. SuperChiks

SuperChiks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2011
    North Carolina
    I'm waiting too [​IMG]

My first 4 are about 21 - 22 weeks, the others are 20 and 16. Nothing. I have heard the heat is delaying them too.

8. colby318

colby318 got 'dottes?

Jul 14, 2008
    Stamping Ground, KY
    Lighter breeds lay sooner. Barred rocks are a dual purpose breed. They have to put on a little flesh first and fill out. Put your fingers between her pelvic bones. If you can fit two fingers there, her body's almost ready to lay. You can also check her vent. If it's puckered and dry... not ready.

My EEs started laying at 5.5 months. The wyandottes around 7.

9. motherhenmindy

motherhenmindy Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I'm also waiting, trying to be patient but can't help being somewhat impatient, just excited I think. My BR, BO and RIR are just shy of 21 weeks old, and I think it's probably too early to be hoping they'll go anytime soon. I'm really ok with that, says the rational me.

"A watched pot never boils", as my mother would say.

10. momofchicks

momofchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    Kentucky
    [​IMG] I went out to check for eggs and she jumped out of the nest and there layed a beautiful light brown egg. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by