1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Barred Rock STILL not laying :(

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dsteber, Sep 27, 2012.

1. dsteber

dsteber Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2012
    My chicks are all the same age (or so I was told). The Barred Rock, RIR, and NHR are Heritage Bloodline. The Blue Lace is not. All 3 are laying well, except for #4--Grace, the BR. She has very little comb and wattles. The blue lace even pecks at her every now and then. Do you think she will ever lay? Take a look at the pics. THANKS!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Her comb isn't very large and is not red yet, I'd say she has a little development to do yet. Heritage breeds can take longer to develop, and she is taking her time.

3. dsteber

Apr 13, 2012
    Boy, is she!!!! I figured since the other Heritage's were laying, she would be right there with them!!!

4. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Oh and that seems to actually be a Domonique (spelled wrong), because she has a rose comb.

5. dsteber

Apr 13, 2012
    I assume you are talking about the one I thought was a blue lace? I just thought something was wrong with her comb!!!! Never heard of a domonique. Hmm. Thanks!!

6. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    No, not the blue laced (although she has a rose comb too), but the barred rock. It may just be the light, but it looks like she has a more flat comb- or rose comb. Like this: (not my pic)

[​IMG]

vs this being a barred rock:

[​IMG]

There's really not much of a difference, but they might mature differently.

7. dsteber

Apr 13, 2012
    Ohhhh!!! I see now. Thanks!!! Maybe so. I just wish she would start laying!!! They are about 9 months old!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by