Barred Rock the meanest breed?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Pardee_Boy, Jun 19, 2010.

1. Pardee_Boy

Pardee_Boy Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2010
    Blissfield MI
    I have one barred rock roo who just came into his own recently. I had heard from friends that they can be real mean when they want to be.I was out checking on my hens today while filling water and the feeder. While I was in the middle of doing the chores the girls (3 RIR) where checking out what was going on . When all of a sudden my roo charged into the coop that is head level for me and he puffed up and was in full on combat mode!! I have never been challenged by a roo in this manner . Now is there a way to break this bird of bad behavior? Spend more time with him ? I'm just concerned for my kids who are toddlers and are at about the same height as this bird. I wouldn't leave my kids alone outside but you never know is my point.

maybe a dumb question but I like my chickens and would hate to send one off over a bad attitude.

2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    I tried everything suggested with mine before I got rid of him. I tried cuddling, i tried booting him across the yard, I tried the thing where you feed the girls treats and don't let him have any, and knock him off of the hens if he tries breeding in front of you (those last two worked the best, by the way) but I never was able to break him of his aggression, so I gave him away before I broke his neck instead...

good luck! [​IMG]

3. Pardee_Boy

May 3, 2010
    Blissfield MI
    the thinking process has started !~ I know I would have a hard time giving this chicken away ( no one would want him) Now telling my ten year old daughter why daddy was swinging the chicken around by his head will be the hard part. [​IMG]

4. Cloverleaf Farm

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    I put mine on CL, and was honest about why I was getting rid of him. I also added that if they were going to eat him, they needed to lie to me and make me believe them. They were fantastic actors!!! [​IMG]

5. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

I think there are things you can do to manage a rooster but generally once they mature you've got what you've got and there's not much changing them. My RIR roo was the greatest bird until he hit a year old. He's not at the worst end of the spectrum by any means but I do have to watch him and if I'm going in the coop I carry a rake to even things up if he decides to come at me. My 10 year old son no longer goes into the coop and therefore doesn't really get to enjoy the chickens anymore, so I'm seriously considering getting rid of him one way or another. [​IMG]

6. Pardee_Boy

May 3, 2010
    Blissfield MI
    Yea I went back out there to see if he had a change of heart I was crouching down inside of the run and he wandered over to me only to rear up get all puffed out and start to try and claw my eyes out. He pecked me once and almost drew blood. He was a nice bird untill today. I was able to pick him up and now I can't get near him without talons flying at me.

7. chickenriot

chickenriot Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Brownsboro, Tx.
    Oh No !

Now I'm worried ! I ordered the all female barred rock special from My Pet Chicken because I read that they are friendly, mellow birds.

Hopefully I won't have a rooster problem since these are supposed to be girls.

If barred rocks are "mean" chickens the information in Breeds on this site needs to be changed.[​IMG]

8. Cloverleaf Farm

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Quote:All breeds have "general" characteristics and there are extremes in both directions in all breeds. I had a barred rock hen that was my friendliest chick, was inquisitive but standoffish as an adult, but would BITE me if I dared reach in the nestbox while she was in there doing her thing...I don't have BR's any more, and won't again...but other people LOVE them...to each their own...

9. Silverduck

Silverduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2007
    Walker County, Alabama
    My Barred Rock Bantams are the best. They are all docile. My roo is so pretty too. I think any breed of roo can be aggressive. I stopped the aggression in a Crele bantam roo, everytime he would come at me I would grab him up put my hands around his neck and scream at him that I am the boss and then I would throw him on the ground. I only had to do this 3 times, he hadn't jumped on me since.

10. Di

Di New Egg

Jul 19, 2009
    I have BRs - all hens. They are very sweet. They follow me around and have no problem with me picking them up and petting them. One recently went broody, so I purchased some fertilized eggs from the feed store - all BR and NHRs. I was told if any are roos, to bring them back and they would try to sell them. Anyway, the broody hen is moody with the other hens, but is still sweet with me. I LOVE my BRs and think you will love yours, too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by