barred rock thread

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by ilovechickensrock, Oct 3, 2011.

1. ilovechickensrock

ilovechickensrock Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2011
  2. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    Well I have no barred rocks, but I want them, so went to your page and they sure are beautiful! Good luck on that farm too!

3. ilovechickensrock

ilovechickensrock Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2011
    thanks i hope that one day i will have a farm with cows cats dogs horses ducks and mabye peafowl and of course chickens [​IMG]

4. jeepguy982001

jeepguy982001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    athens, wv
    i want some too if you know of any good places let me know. please. [​IMG]

5. BusyBlonde

BusyBlonde Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    Bessemer City, NC
    [​IMG]

The rooster pictured is T-Rex, he's a 6 month old rooster. I got him from a breeder who showed her chickens (central NC area), along with 19 other day-old chicks. I don't know if I'd call him "friendly" to most people, because we haven't raised our chickens as pets, but he does recognize me as the primary caregiver. When my truck pulls in the driveway, he crows. If I call down to the pen from my deck, he often crows. When I walk down to the pen, the whole flock runs to the corner and waits for me... [​IMG]

T-Rex is a great roo. He watches over the flock. I've heard him give the "hawk" call, and makes sure the rest of the flock (10 hens, 2 other roos) get under cover. He calls the hens over for treats. He has his "favorite" girls, lol. He settles disputes among the hens quickly. For such a young rooster, he's really responsible and has great instincts. We're looking forward to many years of service with him!

6. Farm_Maven

Farm_Maven Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    Tishomingo
    I have a BR roo, Mylo, that is awesome also. I will get new pics and post tomorrow.

7. Chido

Chido Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    El Monte
    This is Spaghetti. I think she is 18 months old, somebody surrended her at the feed store I visit one day we were there to buy feed a couple of months ago, and the former owner said she got her as an Easter chick last year. Poor thing seems to have had a rough stay with that lady, as she had some wounds probably from overmating, or other hens peckher as she had some scabs and sounds on her back, and was missing feathers. She is a sweetheart although I like to call her grumpy lady because she's very vocal and "growls" a lot when I hold her.

Right now she has a nasty respiratory infection and I don't know if she'll make it [​IMG], I've had her isolated in my bathroom since yesterday, and she has this awful congested,tattling breathing sound. The poor lady just can't get a break [​IMG].

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  8. lvchicken

lvchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2011
    Just a picture of Mrs. Lazy Bones!! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. PixieChixie

PixieChixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2011
    Hi! I'm *very* new to the chicken scene.[​IMG] Barred ricks have been my favorites for a long time though. I house-sat for a neighbor with a few barred rocks when I was younger. Also ''godmother'' to a wonderful pullet named dot.

10. Farm_Maven

Farm_Maven Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    Tishomingo
    as promised here is a pic of my BR roo, Mylo. Including a pic of Barbie right b4 she laid her egg for the day.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by