1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Barred rock vs. Dominique chick?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by vermontgal, Sep 2, 2009.

1. vermontgal

vermontgal Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm sharing a chick order with a neighbor (still a small order, 7 birds total). As part of the mix, she is getting a BR and I am getting a Dominique. Any tips on telling these chicks apart? I know that the BR has a single comb and the Dominique a rose comb. Will we be able to tell those tiny combs apart at 1 day old? They will both be pullets (we hope!).

Thanks!

2. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Yes, you will be able to tell the difference. The br will have an obvious single comb and the dom's comb will look flat.

3. vermontgal

Cool! Thanks.

4. vermontgal

Well, this was a non-issue. There were only 6 chicks in the box, instead of the 7 we ordered. I think we ended up with the barred rock, but no dominique. [​IMG]

5. kyliekobe

kyliekobe Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2009
    Kailua
    I'm so sorry to hear that you didn't get your Dominique. Did you order from MPC. I received 2 Dominiques from MPC last week, and one died the second day I got them. [​IMG] She became very lethargic, and just wouldn't get up...by the end of the day she passed away. The other one though, is very feisty and becoming my sons favorite chick of the bunch.

I also have 3 month old BR's and just love them. They are sooo tame compared to my RIR's. They actually come when I call them and follow me around the yard...always begging for food.[​IMG] You won't be disappointed. Good luck!

6. vermontgal

The Dominique I ordered was from Meyer (who ships for MPC). Sorry to hear that yours died.

The barred rock in the order was for my neighbor, but I have an adult BR already.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by