1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Barred Rock vs Maran

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by karearmcd, May 13, 2016.

1. karearmcd

karearmcd New Egg

May 13, 2016
    I have one Barred Rock and one Maran and I used to know which one was which. The BR was a little older and bigger and the Maran had a blacker back between the wings. Now I have no clue! They are a little older and similar in size and both seem to have white markings on their backs. One chick has markings on its beak, more white markings on its head and the other has a beak with no markings and sort of a skunk look with a white area on its neck and belly and on top of its head. I think the second one might be the Maran but any guesses are welcome![​IMG]

2. OrganicFarmWife

OrganicFarmWife Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2015
    No where Nebraska
    I am pretty sure the one on the left is your maran and the right is your br.

1 person likes this.
  3. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    You'll know by feathering when older. It will be simple by glance from afar. For now and always they have different colored skin. Plymouth Rock have yellow skin/legs and Marans white.

4. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Irish Colleen Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    x2 and [​IMG]

5. karearmcd

karearmcd New Egg

May 13, 2016
    [​IMG]

This is the one I think is the Maran.

6. karearmcd

karearmcd New Egg