Barred Rock weak can't stand up

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rbum, Apr 29, 2016.

1. rbum

rbum Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2014
    Louisiana
    I have 2 4 - 6 week old barred rock chicks. One of them is too weak to stand up any suggestions I have tetracycline .

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would get some Corid and treat them for possible coccidosis. It is hot where they are kept? How do their droppings look? Until you get the Corid, feed the weak chick with a dropper, and give it water with electrolytes, or gatorade or pedialyte. If it will drink on it's own that will help. Symptoms of cocci are runny droppings with blood or mucus, lethargy, hunched posture, and not eating. Dosage is 2 tsp of Corid liquid, or 1 1/2 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5 days. Then later, give some vitamins and plain yogurt.

3. rbum

Jul 27, 2014
    Louisiana
    it was hot in garage where I keep them temporarily. My wife turned on fan she is better and poop is runny and light brown diarrhea

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I'm glad that she seems better, but make sure she is taking water. If she looks bad tomorrow, keep the Corid treatment in mind. Good luck.

5. rbum

Jul 27, 2014
    Louisiana
    I will check periodically through the night and morning. Thanks for your help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by