Barred Rock? Whazzup with this comb?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by momgoose, Apr 13, 2012.

1. momgoose

momgoose Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2012
    NE Tucson
    Both of these pictures are of the same chicken. This one and it's sister were hatched on 4-7-2012 and were sold as Barred Rocks. Both of the chickens look pretty much the same except for the comb on this chicken. It's flat and wider on this one and has little "ridges" along its sides. The comb and wattle 'nubs' are also redder on this chicken. The other chicken's comb is narrow, 'single' and yellower. It's wattle 'nubs' are also yellowish rather than as red as on this one. The other chicken is a little larger overall, it's tail is split and it has a much fluffier butt.
    I just noticed the difference in their combs a couple weeks ago and it is becoming more pronounced as they mature.
    What's "normal" for a Barred Rock? I noticed that there is no Barred Rock entry in the "Breeds" part of BYC. Perhaps this is another 'type' of chicken or maybe not a purebred Barred Rock? This one, Angela, is much easier to handle and calmer than the other one too.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks Peeple!
    Terri

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  3. sheeshshe

sheeshshe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Perhaps you have a dominique instead?

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    idk---with those dark legs I'm thinking mixed breed? Tell us more about where/how you got it.

5. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    Barred Rocks, especially pullets, have a dark wash over their legs and it fades as they get older. I would say you have a Dominique, they have rose combs.

6. sheeshshe

sheeshshe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    and dominiques have the black legs. I have 2 of them :)

7. Ashburnham

Ashburnham Chillin' With My Peeps

It looks just like my BPRs which are crossed with Araucana and have peacombs and lay green eggs.

8. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Not Barred Rocks.

Either a cross or Dom.

9. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    Dominique

10. momgoose

momgoose Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2012
    NE Tucson
    Thank you ALL for your comments! I got the chicks at a local feed store. Same place I got my Leghorn x's before them. I had to get dog food there yesterday and asked about them. These were the last batch of chicks they'd gotten until their most recent batch of EE's (just before Easter of course) from the same breeder. The woman that I usually deal with was glad I was back. She said she was hoping I'd come in (they don't have any contact info for most of their customers). She stated that only one other person had come back asking about those chicks. That guy had bought 22 chicks thinking they were all Barred Rocks too. Apparently about half of his had this comb also. These chicks had been sexed and vaccinated and were delivered to the feed store within 24 hours of hatching.

The breeder said apparently there had been a mix-up, either during hatching, vaccinating and sexing, or 'packaging' for transport. He said those two breeds are nearly impossible to differentiate at that age (he said HE could tell them apart) but has a number of people working with him at different times and that this group of 'help' may have thought all those chicks were the same (even though they had instructions and pictures to help them). He said he raises Dominiques, Barred Rocks, EE's, Jersey Giants, Dwarf Leghorns, Orphingtons and Rhode Islands on his farm. He offered to replace the Dominiques with Barred Rocks (expecting the next hatching in May).

AND oh my gosh, now that I looked at the links you guys provided, there are other differences I DIDN'T notice. For one, this pullet has wider bands of white on the tip of her tail, and wider strips of white on her feathers in general. THANKS for the links!!
    Though she trys to avoid getting caught, she's calmer and more 'curious' about you once you have her 'in hand' than the other one. If I sit down on my stool in their pen, she's the first one on my lap. Is that personality common in Dominiques? She is very funny, some of the 'expressions' she gets when she's trying to figure something out.

Thanks Again for the information...You were "spot on"!

Terri

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by