Barred Rock - Where to buy chicks??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by steffpeck, Aug 9, 2008.

1. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    I want to get some Barred Rock chicks if I can't find eggs to hatch. I don't want "hatchery" chicks. I want nice breeding quality chicks. Can someone tell me where I could get some good quality chicks from? Thanks!

2. hatchcrazzzy

hatchcrazzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2007
    kemp texas
    try buy sell or trade on this forum and post an ad

3. chilisweet

chilisweet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    You can also contact your local 4H. Most of the chicken people there do sell their stock, and I'm sure would be able to help you out.

I think you can go to 4H on the web and pick your state and city and hopefully find someone that way.

Good luck
    ~Caran

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Steff, hopefully, I'll be able to send you some BR eggs from my Dutch with my girls in a few weeks, if you are still interested. He should be fertile in about three weeks then he has to convince my older ladies that he's worth their time, LOL. He has nice barring, as do many of my ladies. ZuniBee has a son of Hawkeye, Dutch's dad, who is a really nice example of the breed, I think. The problem with many hatchery BRs is that they are sacrificing the broad chested body type they should have. And the barring? Some are so awful, like my Ivy's, that they look like badly barred Cuckoo Marans. But you know that already, which is why you're looking for other sources.

5. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    Thanks speckledhen!!! I really appreciate it!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by