Barred rock with abnormal poo?

craigb

Chirping
Nov 28, 2019
Portland, OR
We have a 1 1/2 yo barred rock who is acting normally, but has developed what looks like abnormal poo, last 4-5 days or so. She is in the middle of her first molt, which looks like a pretty minor one. These poos have been consistent (at least for overnight).

Any thoughts? Do I need to do something about this?

thanks for any help!

Attachments

• FA787D18-7ECF-4C82-8FB2-7170CC3F3D43.jpeg
    FA787D18-7ECF-4C82-8FB2-7170CC3F3D43.jpeg
    973 KB · Views: 8
We've all been noticing lately that our molting chickens sometimes have loss of appetite and also strange poop. They seem to go hand in hand with molt.

Try offering high grade protein a few times a week to bolster their nutrition, and they will have more energy. This can make a big difference. Try canned mackerel, tofu, and eggs. Even raw hamburger or liver can make a huge difference.

We have a 1 1/2 yo barred rock who is acting normally, but has developed what looks like abnormal poo, last 4-5 days or so. She is in the middle of her first molt, which looks like a pretty minor one. These poos have been consistent (at least for overnight).

Any thoughts? Do I need to do something about this?

thanks for any help!
If she's acting normal, I would just keep watch on her.
Looks like the poop has quite of bit of grass/fibrous material - what do you feed including treats?

Thanks all for replys. I’ll try some high protein treats. Their normal feed is pellet chicken food, with some greens, apple cores, for treats. They have access to oyster shell. They don’t have access to grass in their run, but there is a straw bale.

Thanks all for replys. I’ll try some high protein treats. Their normal feed is pellet chicken food, with some greens, apple cores, for treats. They have access to oyster shell. They don’t have access to grass in their run, but there is a straw bale.
It's likely straw that I'm seeing. You provide poultry grit (crushed granite) free choice correct?
Just to be sure...I would feel her crop tonight when she goes to roost (see how full it is), then re-check first thing in the morning before she eats/drinks - the crop should be empty/flat.

Yes on grit. Yeah, as I look closer it does look like straw. I’ll check her crop - what is your thinking? She doesn’t have access to straw at night.

Yes on grit. Yeah, as I look closer it does look like straw. I’ll check her crop - what is your thinking? She doesn’t have access to straw at night.
My thinking is she's passing the straw o.k., but it's somewhat "whole" looking. I would check to make sure the crop is functioning and she's not getting "clogged up" for the lack of a better word.
I do put straw out for my birds too - for a few days after new is put down, they eat some, this is when I really check crops so I can stay on top of any potential blockage problems. I normally check crops at least once a week anyway (if not more). I just run my hand across their breast as they come out the pop door, but if I have 1 I'm watching close, I may check him/her at night and first thing.

The continuing saga of Opal, our barred rock. I’ve checked her crop first thing in the am, and it was hard to find. Also, I think she may be eating less, though it is hard to say for sure as we have food out for them all the time. She is still very interested in treats, and is still acting normally. Have given her some high protein treats a few times, and she really goes for that. Her poo is slightly larger now, but is fairly wet (though not runny) and has a lot of whole fir needles (their run is under a Douglas Fir) - wondering why she might be more interested in fir needles. Going to check her weight today.

The continuing saga of Opal, our barred rock. I’ve checked her crop first thing in the am, and it was hard to find. Also, I think she may be eating less, though it is hard to say for sure as we have food out for them all the time. She is still very interested in treats, and is still acting normally. Have given her some high protein treats a few times, and she really goes for that. Her poo is slightly larger now, but is fairly wet (though not runny) and has a lot of whole fir needles (their run is under a Douglas Fir) - wondering why she might be more interested in fir needles. Going to check her weight today.
An empty crop in the morning is a good thing!
If she's molting, then likely she's not eating quite as much - a lot of mine don't. They seem to be really picky during molt too.
I do go easy on treats though because I want them to eat their normal feed. Extra protein is something she might like - eggs, meat or fish. Just a bit - all your birds may enjoy that.
Chickens pick at things all the time, she may be ingesting the needles when she's snatching up a bug or something. She may also be eating them because they taste good - hard to know about chickens LOL

Back
Top Bottom