Barred Rock with broken leg-HELP?

Chickiezz

Songster
10 Years
Apr 14, 2009
I have noticed one of my 4 month old barred rock pullets limping for some time. I could never catch it though to see whats wrong. I finally caught it today and realized its leg is broken. I have separated it and put it in a rabbit hunch that is also in the coop that we use for chicks. It gets around good,but it lays down whenever it can. It eats/drinks. It seems overall healthy,except for the leg. How can I treat it without taking it to the vet? I dont think a chicken is really worth an expensive vet bill, especially when I really dont have the extra money right now,but I dont want it to suffer either..... what should i do?
Thank you in advance.

mmaddie's mom :

Is it using the leg/foot at all? As long as it is eating and drinking and doesn't seem to be in a lot of pain, just give it a quiet place and time to heal.

Yes, a little bit. I guess I will just keep it where it is. Do you know approximately how long it takes to heal?​

Depending on were the break is you may need to splint it so it heals straight not bent. I think there is a BYC link on it but not sure were it is.

Hope she gets better soon.

Oesdog

Time to heal depends on how bad the break... be patient... she will tell you when she is ready to join the others.
D.gif
Also if she is in a place where she can still "talk" to the others, that would be good for her now and when time comes to rejoin the flock... she won't be a total stranger.
smile.png

A splint wound be good to repair a funny break.

Quote:
Its like.... more at the knee. How do I splint it, amd what do I use? This is all new to me,because it never happened to me before. Thanks.

mmaddie's mom :

Time to heal depends on how bad the break... be patient... she will tell you when she is ready to join the others.
D.gif
Also if she is in a place where she can still "talk" to the others, that would be good for her now and when time comes to rejoin the flock... she won't be a total stranger.
smile.png

A splint wound be good to repair a funny break.

Its not that bad,actually. And yes, the rabbit hunch we have her in is located in the coop(our coop is like a shed) and its high off the ground,and has plenty of room for her. She is getting feisty too,when I open the door,she tries to jump out!
ep.gif
I have to be very careful,because the hutch is so high off the ground. That would be pretty bad.

And I have no idea about these splints. Can you tell me about them? Like how to put them on,where,what material should i use,how often should i change it...blah blah blah. Im new to this as you can see. lol thanks.​

Back
Top Bottom