Barred Rock x Araukana two Roos and Two Pullets I think, and an Araukana

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chicken-nipples, Feb 24, 2017.

1. chicken-nipples

chicken-nipples Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2017
    Dunedin New Zealand
    I think the ones with the barring are roo's
    And the other two are pullets

And I think this little black pure bred Araukana is a pullet, I hope,,,,
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    Need better pictures.

If the mom was BR and the dad wasn't barred, then any barred chicks are male.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    It does look like you did a sex linked cross, an Aracauna rooster over a barred Rock hen. Any males from that cross will be barred and have a white head spot at hatch. Females are non-barred, with solid heads at hatch.

You little black bird doesn't have any huge signs of a cockerel, but we'd really need a better pic to be positive.

4. chicken-nipples

Feb 21, 2017
    Dunedin New Zealand
    I bought the eggs, but I know the dad was a barred rock. and the other dad was supposed to be an Arukana over Araukana, but I dont think so now comparing them to my pure bred babies. Im having trouble getting close to these guys, and the Araukanas, I never had such flighty chicks. I will try and get closer to the black chick who has a sibling., which I think is a roo. but I am not sure. Ive never cross bred anything and not had Araukanas , except a blue cockerel who I bought as a one yr old., but he is not here as my neighbour didnt like him.

5. chicken-nipples

Feb 21, 2017
    Dunedin New Zealand
    Im going by what the person told me who I bought the eggs from, If the dad was a barred rock and moms are araukanas, which I saw, these two barred should be hens?? But they have combs that are colouring up and they have long legs, If they are hens that would be great. Im really unsure, I bought the eggs as Momma hen was clucky, and they where the only eggs available at the time. I guess I will find out soon if they start to crow, which will seriously upset the neighbour [​IMG]

6. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    No. Can you post better pictures of them? They definitely look male to me.

7. chicken-nipples

Feb 21, 2017
    Dunedin New Zealand
    I will try and get closer. I think they are males, but was going by what they should be by the comments, I am also going by the person who sold me the eggs. They are so flighty, I've never had flighty birds like this, it's something new for me, Its like I'm a predator going into their domain.

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    If the dad was a barred Rock and mom was Aracauna, there's no sex linkage. A pure barred Rock male will give all chicks that are barred, regardless of gender, regardless of the hen. Sex linkage only works one way, a non-barred (non white) male over a barred female.

The two barred birds definitely look male.

9. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Agreed

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree also

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by