Barred Rock X New Hampshire Red

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by TwinMapleRanch, Aug 6, 2011.

1. TwinMapleRanch

TwinMapleRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    N/W PA
    Hi all,

I've searched and searched the old posts but can't seem to find what I'm looking for. I have 9 three week old chicks that I bought from a man who has a BR rooster and some BR hens, but also a couple NHR hens. So some of my chicks might be BR X NHR. I am having a really hard time sexing them. I only have a couple that show all the traits one or the other. The rest of them are confusing me. For instance, I have one that is feathering really light colored, but it has dark legs and it's comb is very small and light. I have another that has very dark feathering, but lighter legs and the comb is starting to turn pink and there is pink where it's waddles will be. So my question is, how much could the NHR be throwing off my assessments? Could it be the ones that are dark feathered are really pullets, but they are getting a redder comb because of the NHR? There are a couple that the combs are still very small but are pinkish. Would really like to figure out a good guess on how many pullets I have so I know whether to keep looking for some or if I have enough.

Thanks in advance for any input. I'm hoping some of you have raised this cross before and have some ideas of their characteristics.

Linda
    in N/W PA

2. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    The reason purebred Barred Rocks can be sexed by color is because males are homozygous for barring and females are only heterozygous for barring, making the males appear lighter in color and the females darker.

When you cross a BR rooster with NHR hens the chicks cannot be sexed by color because they're all heterozygous barred, both the males and the females.

3 weeks is really too young to try and assess gender. Your best bet would be to post some pics of them on BYC when they're 6+ weeks old.

3. TwinMapleRanch

TwinMapleRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    N/W PA
    Thanks for the reply! I guess I'll just have to wait and see then... darn it all! LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by