1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Barred Rock

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sweetiepie mama, Nov 1, 2015.

1. sweetiepie mama

sweetiepie mama Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2015
    My two year old Barred Rock died suddenly last week. After nacropsy I found out she had ovarian cancer. This is probably a dumb question. Are the eggs that i still have, safe to eat?

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    So sorry about your loss [​IMG].

The eggs should be safe to eat.

But if the idea disturbs you, then it would be better to send those to your compost.

I also lost two of my 2 yo hens this year from internal problems. Mine were both hatchery chicks - a BR and a BO. Have read that internal problems and cancers seem to appear more often in hatchery chickens and wonder - was your BR a hatchery chicken or from a breeder?

And we did eat the eggs mine laid before they passed - they were mixed in with the others and I never really thought about whose was whose.

3. sweetiepie mama

sweetiepie mama Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2015
    Yes she came from Meyers Hatchery. I have a Easteregger and Buff that i got from there. Sure hope they are ok. Thanks for the information :)

4. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Thanks for info.

I had 6 from a New Mexico hatchery, the four left in my flock are happy and healthy thus far. But still grieving the loss of those other two.

Wishing all your remaining flock a healthy and long life.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by