Barred Rock

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jprice2ndlt, Apr 11, 2009.

1. jprice2ndlt

jprice2ndlt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Hodges, S.C.
    I have a question. my barred rock sits on the nest like she is wanting to lay but everytime she gets up there are no eggs. I checked to see if maybe they are eating them but i cant find any signs. I know what kind of eggs she lays so i can tell but for some reason ishe is not laying. anyone have any ideas?

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I have no way to know this for certain, but she could be laying internally, meaning infection and egg material is building up in her abdomen. I've lost four hens to this and that is what they do before the issue becomes critical. They will sit on the nest and sit and leave with no egg. Later, they begin to lose weight and become weak then pass on. I do not want to alarm you, but it is a possibility. There could be other explanations for this behavior as well and hopefully, there is.

3. giasmom

giasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    Woodville, Al
    Hi, I just bought three BR hens that are laying, I brought them home yesterday morning. 1 of mine did this same thing twice this morning. I put a band on her so I could watch her. this evening I caught her in a nest, waited , and wa la !, she had an egg. Maybe she was just practicing.... Maybe the move had her upset.... I'm not sure. Either way I hope your girl is okay & all turns out well !!!!

4. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    I've had this happen a couple of time with my hens also (once with a barred rock and another time with an EE). The hen spent a lot of time on her nest, but didn't leave an egg that entire day, but both hens laid the day after the strange behavior.

5. jprice2ndlt

Apr 3, 2009
    Hodges, S.C.
    The thing that worries me is she used to lay eggs. I have had her for about a month. Then i noticed her on the nest she would sit for awhile get no egg she has done this several times. I think she is about a 1yr-1 1/2. should this matter.

6. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    Is she trying to go broody? Does she puff up and growl at you when you approach?

7. jprice2ndlt

Apr 3, 2009
    Hodges, S.C.
    no she just sits there.

8. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    What is her diet?
    Oyster shell available at all times?
    How does she seem otherwise?
    Is she eating and drinking well?
    Poop normal?
    Comb color? Red? Pale?
    Not molting, right?
    Anything else of note?

JJ

9. jprice2ndlt

Apr 3, 2009
    Hodges, S.C.
    she eats drinks and poops fine. color is right. she eats 16% layer oyster shells and has grit. She seems normal besides her laying attemps

10. ChickEpoo81

ChickEpoo81 New Egg

Apr 11, 2009
    St. Pete
    I have 2 BR pullets whom are not laying yet, but my RIR has done this a couple times also. She lays an egg everyday, but sometimes I'll go check the nest box & she's in it, the next thing u know she's out of the box & no egg, then she'll head back in, come out again, no egg. I think it's because I have disturbed her. If I give it a couple hours & wait until I see her in the yard, I lift the lid to the nest box, & there's an egg![​IMG] Are you checking on her frequently while she's in the nest box? Maybe the disturbance is throwing her off a little. Best of luck, hope it's nothing serious

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by