Barred Rock?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Ylee, May 22, 2012.

1. Ylee

Ylee In the Brooder

May 1, 2012
    White Settlement, Texas
    I have a couple of chickens that I was told were barred rock, but I am unsure. They seem to be all black. They are only 6 weeks old, but I would have expected them to be barred already like the Dominique I have.

This is the 2-3 week old picture. They are in with the Easter Eggers. I bought the chicks from a woman who had many different types of chickens so they might not be barred rock but I have no idea what they might be if they aren't.

[​IMG]

And these are the more recent pictures. I'm talking about the solid black bird standing next to the Dominique.
    [​IMG]

I am mainly curious as to when to expect them to get the barring since they have already have feathers. All the adolescent pictures I have seen are barred so I thought I would ask and see if y'all could point me in the right direction as to when they should get their barring or what they might be if not. Thanks! I can try to post other pictures later if necessary, but these are the ones I have at work.

2. aoxa

aoxa Crowing

They look like black sexlinks to me. That is a unbarred rooster mated with a barred rock hen. The females will be all black, the males will be barred.

ETA: Link
    http://www.fowlvisions.com/?p=281

Last edited: May 22, 2012
  3. peepmommy

peepmommy Songster

Feb 15, 2012
    Black sex links (at least all 5 of mine have yellow feet.)[​IMG] The chicks are black, but when they are adults they are black with varying amount of golden hackles.

4. Ylee

Ylee In the Brooder

May 1, 2012
    White Settlement, Texas
    Very cool, thank you for the posts, this explains a lot. Plus since my goal was to have just hens, that works out in my favor. I think 3 of my 4 Dominique are males, so at least with these I know they are female.

5. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Songster

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    I think they are either black austrolorps are even Jersey giants. They could be black sex-links but I have no experience with those.

6. cmfarm

cmfarm Songster

May 3, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    Barred Rock chicks have a yellow dot on their head. I also think these may be sex-links.

7. aoxa

aoxa Crowing

The dot is usually white [​IMG] Never had a yellow dotted one :p Could be something else, but if the breeder thought they were barred rocks.. It just sounds like they came from eggs laid by her barred rocks, which would lead me to think they are Black Sex Linked.

8. debid

debid Crowing

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    From your description of getting them from someone with lots of different chickens, I believe it's likely they are barnyard mixes sired by a black rooster. If she bought from a hatchery or feed store and is reselling part of her purchase, I'd guess Australorp.

9. cmfarm

cmfarm Songster

May 3, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    Oh, yea, I guess you are right. Still not quite awake this morning. I should have just said dot and I would have been safe.[​IMG]

10. aoxa

aoxa Crowing

:gig

I know how you feel - Can't be trusted to make sense before coffee :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: