Barred Rock?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MrsEskew, Mar 31, 2015.

1. MrsEskew

MrsEskew Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2015
    Arkansas!!
    My Coop
    Hello everyone! [​IMG]Okay so this is my second thread I've started. I bought 5 pullets from our local feed store a little over a week ago. I wanted 2 Barred rocks, 2 Black Australorps, and 2 Cherry Eggers. I was told all of the Barred Rocks were sold out, so I purchased 3 Cherry Eggers and 2 Black Australorps. Well they are almost 2 weeks old now and one of my supposed BAs are starting to get the markings of a Barred Rock...(or I think she is). Would you say I got lucky and got a Barred Rock?? What do y'all think? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  2. Chickaddict44

Chickaddict44 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2014
    Looks like what my BR's looked like as chicks but I'm no expert. :)

3. MrsEskew

Mar 26, 2015
    Arkansas!!
    My Coop
    I'm no expert either...but I am quite positive she's a Barred Rock...because the BA chick is solid black on the back and wings. Exxcept for where her yellow is. I'm excited! [​IMG]

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    It's probably a Barred Rock. However, it could be a male Black Sex Link chick which are virtually identical to Barred Rocks.

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Looks like a Barred Rock or male Black Sex-link to me.

6. MrsEskew

Mar 26, 2015
    Arkansas!!
    My Coop
    Well I hope to goodness it isn't a male... Lol! The guy up there says he only orders pullets, so my fingers are crossed! I don't need another roo for sure! [​IMG]

7. Chickaddict44

Chickaddict44 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2014
    [​IMG]

My Barred rock chicks at approx 3 weeks or so. I think you got lucky and got one. :)

8. MrsEskew

Mar 26, 2015
    Arkansas!!
    My Coop
    Aww! Looks just like my girl. :) Mine got to go outside for the very first time, for a few minutes today...until it started sprinkling. I had to scoop them all up and bring them back in. They protested very loudly. Lol! [​IMG]

9. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Agreed.

10. MrsEskew

Mar 26, 2015
    Arkansas!!
    My Coop
    Just wanted to update on this post. Beauty is definitely a Barred Rock.

[​IMG]

Please excuse the muddy mess there...we've had quite a bit of rain and it's a mess right there where the gate is. I'm debating on what to put there to fix it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by