Barred Rocks - 7 or 8 weeks - pullets or cockerels?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ArizonaDesertChicks, Dec 8, 2008.

1. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    Hi,
    I'm pretty sure that at least 1 of my barred rocks is a pullet, but the other one is kind of iffy. They aren't too far apart in their coloring/characteristics, but the chick in doubt has less of a dark wash on her legs, a little bit more white feathering, and a slightly more developed comb.

Spice is on the right and you can see her legs are a little darker. Sugar is the one on the left.
    [​IMG]

Spice is on the right in this picture also.
    [​IMG]

This is a close up of Spice's comb.
    [​IMG]

A close-up of Sugar's comb:
    [​IMG]

Do they both look like hens or does Sugar look as if she could be a rooster when she grows up?

2. chilling in muscadine

chilling in muscadine { I love being disfunctual }

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    It looks like you have hens. Roos are alot lighter in color than the hens. The color difference is extremely different.

3. Pullet Pimp

Pullet Pimp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    Ohio
    You have two pullets there. The cockerels comb and wattles developed much faster on mine. I think these pics are when they were about six or seven weeks and you can see a distinct difference in the combs. Also the difference in feathering is more noticeable than in your two birds. Not always (ask speckledhen about her boyish looking girl), but I think both of yours are girls.

here is one of my pullets

[​IMG]

Then the cockerel

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 8, 2008
  4. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    Wow! I didn't realize there was such a color & comb difference at a such an early age - comparing mine to yours - I agree that they mine are both hens. That's good news to me! Thanks.

5. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    They are pullets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by