barred rocks, again

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Ehlena99, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Ehlena99

Ehlena99 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2013
    I think i have read every barred rock thread on here, and keep second guessing myself. I'm afraid 2 of my three BR's are roosters, but they are actually developing first, have more feathers and are totally the opposite of friendly. They run like mad when i put my hand in.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Ehlena99

Mar 6, 2013
    Sorry, there's legs and head of one, here's the other.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Opinions? If you agree with me, anyone in NE Ohio want to trade a rooster for a hen?

3. DavidKerk

DavidKerk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2013
    Oh man, both look like roosters. Huge combs!

4. Ehlena99

Mar 6, 2013
    That's what i was afraid of...they're only 4 weeks old....

5. Ehlena99

Mar 6, 2013
    Now that I'm not on my cell phone let me explain a little more. They were purchased as straight run from Tractor Supply.... I know, I know..... I should have gotten them somewhere more knowledgeable than our TSC. The lady told me she thought she could tell- whatever....Anyway, these two started feathering REALLY fast, so I thought I was okay. I have one other one that is a little smaller, and not quite as fast feathering. I figured if I was getting a rooster it would be that one, and it appears to be very friendly. The two in question are crazy- running around like mad any time anything unusual happens. They both had a little black down their legs, and all three had really 'messy' dots on their heads. Then last week I started to notice some pink around the comb, and could see the wattles standing out a little bit. I'm curious to know if they could just be older than I was told, (will hens develop them too?) or if they are roosters, that just developed faster than the hens?

6. farmer boy

farmer boy Chillin' With My Peeps

actually when chicks are young the hens are more aggressive and the roosters are more friendly when really young they look like rooster but i had one like this looked to be a rooster and boom its a hen so idk it just depends just keep them until their older just to see

7. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

That's a lot of pink comb and little wattles coming in too. Two roosters.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by