1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Barred Rocks Broody Or Not Broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BarredR, Feb 18, 2014.

1. BarredR

BarredR Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2014
    Gold Bar WA
    There seems to be controversy on weather Barred Rocks are broody or not. I would like to hear from people who own them or have owned them in the past.

2. Spangled

Spangled Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2012
    Serenity Valley
    Have had a number of Barred Rocks. I never had one go broody, which is great if you want eggs. The broodiness was pretty much bred out of the hatchery Barred Rocks in the middle of the last century and before because they were one of the breeds that were put on the fasttrack toward prolific egg laying along with White Wyandottes, Rhode Island Reds (hatchery), Leghorns, etc. Broodiness appears to be genetic with definite genetic traits being necessary, not all of which have been identified by geneticists. Funding for studies isn't usually available since there's not much money for that kind of study since there's no real market for broody hens. My opinion only.

3. BarredR

BarredR Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2014
    Gold Bar WA
    Well thanks for your opinion I was hoping they would go broody once in a while. I got barred rocks because in my research I read that they were calm,prolific layers,some what broody and good parents. Sounded like the perfect breed to start my flock with. Well I guess I'll have to try hatching with a incubator. I was kinda hoping for hatching chicks nuturally.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by