Barred Rocks But Why All the White

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by beerguzzler, Nov 4, 2008.

1. beerguzzler

beerguzzler Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2008
    Houston TX
    I picked up 13 Barred Rocks about 3 weeks ago. I have 2 roos and 11 hens. Some of my hens look like the following. Why do some of them have such white chests and necks? You can see the hen behind does not have this. I also added a few more pics for grins and giggles.

[​IMG]

Some other pics for ya including 2 Ameraucanas I just picked up(supposedly they are 6 months old also.)

None of the hens (Barred Rocks or Ameraucanas) are laying yet [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Well, the reason it's so light is because it's probably a black sexlink rooster. No BR, even the lighter-than-pullet cockerels, should have that much white. That one looks like many BR crosses I've seen as well as sexlink roosters. At that age, no BR hens have that much comb. The BR pullets dont look quite 6 months old, though, from the comb sizes.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2008
  3. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    I agree, they're probably Sexlink cockerels.

OR...they could be a silver rooster over a barred hen...but so far all of mine that look like that have been cockerels.

4. beerguzzler

Oct 3, 2008
    Houston TX
    Thanks for the help. I may have some Roos available in the coming months then.

5. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    I was gonna say they don't look like pure barred rocks. [​IMG] Speckledhen & Helmstead beat me to it.

6. ghulst

ghulst Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Zeeland Michigan
    Poor bred barred rocks causes the light necks.

7. beerguzzler

Oct 3, 2008
    Houston TX
    Ghulst, Not sure what "Poor bred barred rocks causes the light necks" means. Can you expand on your statement?

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Hmm, even with the worst examples of BRs, I've never seen them come out that white. Usually, the barring just gets more messy and cuckoo type.

9. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    This bird is a feral/cochin cross. The mother is a partridge cochin, the father is a game cross, barred with maybe duckwing overlay. Looks a lot like your odd colored birds. I would want a refund or exchange on birds looking like that if you paid for purebred. I like this pullet and think she looks awesome, but she was free.

[​IMG]

10. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Quote:How old is your Americana ? I had 2 of them and one of them was the same color ( brownish ) as yours and TWICE the size of yours . THEY looked full grown and very healthy and NEVER did lay . They both went bak to auction last night . We had NO idea the age when hubby bought them at auction . PROBABLY why they were auctioned LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by