1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Barred Rocks Do Not lay white eggs!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mikki717, Sep 12, 2010.

1. mikki717

mikki717 My Drug of Choice- Chickens

Dec 7, 2009
    Hesperia, CA
    Hmmm. DH found out that the 4 Barred Rocks we got to enhance our white egg production, would be laying brown. (Funny... who'd a thunk it!) [​IMG]

Anyway... we had to go back to the feed store to get a few more whities, but all they had were leghorns. We already had 3 brown leghorn chicks, and the white leghorns were pretty scraggly looking. But I figured that since these were the same white leghorns from last week, and they were still alive and fast on their feet, it wasn't from being sick. We got three white leghorns and two more brown leghorns.

Turns out the litle white girls had dried yolk on their heads, and I had to bathe them to clean it off. I can just imagine how it must have hurt like having your hair pulled!

They were initially pretty upset about being handled, but they loved the bath, and one actually "collapsed" from sheer pleasure! (Note to self... do not bathe more than one chick at a time!)

So now I have both brown and white leghorns, the same age, in the brooder, but the brownies are literally half the size of the whities. The feathering on their wings is identical. I figure that they are about 10-14 days old as they come from the same hatchery. The brownies have a round body the size of about a ping pong ball, while the white ones are more oval about the size of a duck egg.

Is this normal to have such a big difference in size, or did I end up with a bantam of some sort?

Brown leghorns with the barred rocks.
    [​IMG]

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Honestly those look like OEGBs, not leghorns. But I guess time will tell.

3. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    Leghorn

[​IMG]

BB Red OEGB

[​IMG]

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    My lone brown leghorn is not a bantam but she is definitely the smallest of the flock. She is NOT, by the way, at the bottom of the pecking order!

There is all kinds of literature around that says there is no difference in brown and white eggs (or blue, or any other color) on the inside.

5. bgelber

bgelber Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2009
    Athens, al
    I don't think they are white leghorn chicks, the one's I got back in the spring where cute little yellow fluffy butts at this age.

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Yes, that's a pic of a brown leghorn in post #3, and white leghorns are plain yellow as chicks.

7. mikki717

mikki717 My Drug of Choice- Chickens

Dec 7, 2009
    Hesperia, CA
    oh crud muffins! My actual thoughts are much more vulgar... but I am keeping it family friendly. I absolutely do not have the set up for bantams!

I look at them now, and feel like smacking my palm on my forehead! No wonder they hold their wings down and away from their bodies! DUH!

I am not a happy camper!!! [​IMG]

8. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

But, but.. but.... bantams take up so much less space and eat less.... and they only count as half a point in Chicken Math!

And midget chickens are just so CUTE.

9. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    You don't have to be "set up for" bantams. They can coexist with the rest of your flock. But if you don't want them, rehome them -- put out your feelers here on BYC to people in your area, post a craigslist ad for them, check around for a local swap and take them.

10. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    And OEG's make great broodies! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by