Barred Rocks--do roosters grow comb and wattles larger than hens

pigcoon

Crowing
14 Years
Apr 22, 2009
Vermont
I have 5 barred rocks. They are supposed to be hens. They are about 20 weeks old. The coloration on all of them looks the same.Just one of them seems to have grown the comb and wattles faster than the others and so s/he looks different and more mature. Nothing going on with the tail that would suggest rooster.j

Do you just grow their comb and wattles at different paces, or could this be a rooster.

I can try for a picture tomorrow if it is needed, but perhaps this is obvious to some of you.

At this age, you'd know a rooster. It sounds like that hen is just maturing first and will be your first layer. Just like humans, chickens develop at different rates. In a few months, all your girls will probably look like that. Go ahead and post a pic, just to set your mind at ease.

I will get one tomorrow, sorry I didn't do that yet. Thanks! This didn't happen with my last flock but that was a different breed.

Are the tail feathers curling? The hens tails do not curl or cascade but the roos do. My BR did have a very big comb and waddles but she layed eggs. She layed her first egg at 26 weeks.

Caroline

At this age, you'd know a rooster. It sounds like that hen is just maturing first and will be your first layer. Just like humans, chickens develop at different rates. In a few months, all your girls will probably look like that. Go ahead and post a pic, just to set your mind at ease.

And at 20 weeks you are also be able to see the sickle feathers

There are also size variations in the combs at maturity that are quite noticeable with single-combed breeds. Some hens get big combs that flop over, some have petite ridges. Hatchery stock is generally more variable than breeder stock. But yeah, a rooster should be obvious by now with feather differences and most would be crowing/mounting/etc.

I keep staring at her(?) tail and I can't see anything different about it at all. I've been watching for it. But her head looks so much different than the others because of the full comb and wattles. Sorry I meant to take a picture today and had a family problem to solve all day instead. Try again tomorrow!!

I keep staring at her(?) tail and I can't see anything different about it at all. I've been watching for it. But her head looks so much different than the others because of the full comb and wattles. Sorry I meant to take a picture today and had a family problem to solve all day instead. Try again tomorrow!!

Okay, take your time. :)

OK here we go. Sorry the pics aren't great; they won't HOLD STILL!!!

THe first, second and fourth photos are of the hen that's comb and wattles are larger than the rest. The third photo is one of the other hens and it is how 4 out of my 5 look right now. Any further thoughts??

Back
Top Bottom