Barred Rocks gender...?

Lady M

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 7, 2014
Central Washington
Hello again! :) I've got these four barred rocks... I'm thinking one may be a Roo. Has lighter coloring. Any help?? (With the luck I had at the feed store these probably aren't even Barred Rocks. Lol)

The one second in from the left has lighter coloring.

Here's a close up of just the lighter one.

welcome-byc.gif

I do believe you're correct on your genders--that little boy really sticks out, doesn't he?

You may also be correct on the breed being wrong, I'm getting the feeling those are cuckoo Marans, not Rocks. Can you get a pic showing the legs better? Marans have white legs, Rocks have yellow--and both will have dark coloring on the front on the females.

I'm guessing Marans based off the pattern of the barring--it looks "messy", which is usually a hallmark of a cuckoo Marans.

:welcome

I do believe you're correct on your genders--that little boy really sticks out, doesn't he?

You may also be correct on the breed being wrong, I'm getting the feeling those are cuckoo Marans, not Rocks. Can you get a pic showing the legs better? Marans have white legs, Rocks have yellow--and both will have dark coloring on the front on the females.

I'm guessing Marans based off the pattern of the barring--it looks "messy", which is usually a hallmark of a cuckoo Marans.

I agree.

Here's a photo of the legs. Its a bit more clear.

Hmmm... want to let me know what you think this little one is...? I'm getting worried now. :/

This little one is my favorite... cuddles right up :) Breed/gender a anyone?

Here's a photo of the legs. Its a bit more clear.

Hmmm... want to let me know what you think this little one is...? I'm getting worried now. :/

This little one is my favorite... cuddles right up :) Breed/gender a anyone?

The buff colored chick is either a Buff Orpington or Buff Rock. Orpingtons have pale legs while Rocks have yellower legs. She also look like a girl to me, what a cutie! :)

Last edited:
Yay! We bought her as a Buff Orp pullett so maybe we got ONE Correct. :ya

Sigh.

I feel like such a newbie... but can anyone tell me what this one is??

Last edited:
I've been away for a long time! Sorry these haven't been updated. But... We have *drumroll* ONE barred ROO... And had one Cornish roo. All the rest were Hens. And all are laying well :)

Such a fiesty dude... He may be nuggets by months end... :/

Back
Top Bottom