Barred Rocks? Hens or Cockerels?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chickentherapy, Nov 10, 2012.

1. chickentherapy

chickentherapy Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2012
    Charleston, SC
    Can anyone tell me:
    1. Whether or not these are Barred Rocks. They are about 13 weeks old and the feed store I bought them from as chicks told me that they were. They had very clear barring when they were younger. Now, as you can see, it's changing a good bit.

2. Whether they are pullets or cockerels?

Thank you so much for any help you can give this chicken newbie!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Not Barred Rocks. They are 1/2 Barred Rock. They are mixed with a red or gold, and are called Black Sex Links.

They are cockerels, of course. The female would be all black with a red/gold tint on the neck and chest.
    The feed stores mix these up all the time, because as chicks, they are similar enough to cause confusion. No confusion now.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
  3. Fred's Hens

When did they sprout the combs and wattles? At 6 weeks or around 11 weeks? Do you recall?

Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
  4. douglas08

douglas08 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2012
    Tennessee
    They both look to be Cockerels. As far as breed they look like they're mixed between Barred Rocks and something else.

5. chickentherapy

chickentherapy Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2012
    Charleston, SC
    They both sprouted combs closer to 6 weeks. Thanks for your input. I am sad if they are cockerels because I can't have roosters in the city. :( I'll will miss them. They both have great easygoing personalities.

6. Smoochie

Smoochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    CANADA
    Black sex link cockerels

7. Fred's Hens

Thanks for the input. Cockerels sprout combs and wattles at 6 weeks, that's why I asked. Pullets wait until closer to sexual maturity. Thus, your reply certainly makes this easy to call. Cockerels. Black Sex Links.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by