Barred Rocks? Hens or Cockerels?

chickentherapy

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 10, 2012
Charleston, SC
Can anyone tell me:
1. Whether or not these are Barred Rocks. They are about 13 weeks old and the feed store I bought them from as chicks told me that they were. They had very clear barring when they were younger. Now, as you can see, it's changing a good bit.

2. Whether they are pullets or cockerels?

Thank you so much for any help you can give this chicken newbie!

Not Barred Rocks. They are 1/2 Barred Rock. They are mixed with a red or gold, and are called Black Sex Links.

They are cockerels, of course. The female would be all black with a red/gold tint on the neck and chest.
The feed stores mix these up all the time, because as chicks, they are similar enough to cause confusion. No confusion now.

Last edited:
They both sprouted combs closer to 6 weeks. Thanks for your input. I am sad if they are cockerels because I can't have roosters in the city. :( I'll will miss them. They both have great easygoing personalities.

They both sprouted combs closer to 6 weeks. Thanks for your input. I am sad if they are cockerels because I can't have roosters in the city. :( I'll will miss them. They both have great easygoing personalities.

Thanks for the input. Cockerels sprout combs and wattles at 6 weeks, that's why I asked. Pullets wait until closer to sexual maturity. Thus, your reply certainly makes this easy to call. Cockerels. Black Sex Links.

Back
Top Bottom