Barred Rocks how to tell Sex

madelynbelle

Songster
10 Years
Mar 24, 2009
PUGET SOUND
Alright....I am breaking down and getting some Barred Rocks from the feed store. What is the best way to tell if they are a roo or not. I heard the males have a yellow spot instead of a bright white spot on the head. Or should I just grab and go since they are coming from a hatchery so they should already be sexed:rolleyes:

Well, Ive heard about the spot on the head thing, i heard roo's spots are more broken down, like not a perfect circle, and that females are more like perfect circles
wink.png

I hope im right!

Some things I've read re sexing BR's...a small distinct dot = hen and a very large or even 2 overlapping dots = roo. Also, re down color - very black = hen and more silvery/frosty color = roo. Finally, very dark color on front of legs = hen and little or no color on front of legs = roo.
smile.png
TaLani

If all else fails, just PM Speckledhen!
big_smile.png

I was told BR roos have white on their heads and poulets have smaller to NO spot on the head...and the females have gray on the legs...

Don't quote me, I'm just sharing what someone told me once! LOL

Quote:
Basically this is what I was told...sorry I didn't see that post when I posted mine.
big_smile.png

Best of Luck!!!

I heard about the white spot on the head AFTER I picked up my first BR. I posted a photo shortly after I got it and several people responded that they thought it was a roo. A couple of people questioned if it were even a BR. It is now almost 5 weeks old and the coloring definitely looks like BR. I has two other BR that are week younger and the coloring is the same on all three of them.

So far I am doubting that the chick is a roo. I am not an expert but it is not showing any other signs. The comb is still yellow and has very little development. It does not seem to be walking around acting like "Mr Mocho". It is acting like all of the other chicks. The legs don't look any thicker or stronger than the other chicks. I guess I will just have to wait and see.

I am hopeful that none of my 18 chicks turn out to be a roo. I CAN have a roo where I live but I have nearby neighbors and therefore don't want one. I would like to be a good neighbor. My wife also does not want one. I do have one Silver Laced Wynadotte that I am a little concerned about. It's comb is the only one out of all of the chicks that is red. But it has minimal development. Fingers crossed. It is almost 4 weeks old.

Back
Top Bottom