Barred rocks..male or female?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by khybentz, Apr 30, 2017.

1. khybentz

khybentz Just Hatched

Apr 30, 2017
    Hello, I want to apologize in advance, I'm a brand new chicken mom & this is my first day on BYC, so I'm sorry for my newbie questions!
    I already had great help determining the age of my red sexlinks from you all!
    My next question is about these barred rocks (at least I think thy are BR)..I'm honestly not sure how old, I'm guessing about 3 weeks..
    Based on the threads I have been reading I BELIEVE the first pic is a roo..and the second a hen? Could definitely be wrong..iam most definitely NO expert..what do you all think? I will add the first chick has barely any tail feathers, even less than my younger pullet BR..the second chick has tail feathers..TIA!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Two things hint that the first one is a cockerel: Stance and leg thickness. Now it could just be an opportune moment when you took the photo that it's standing erect like a cockerel and I've had pullets with honking legs before so it's not a certainty. It does have dark wash on front of legs, not a lot, but does have some and cockerels typically have none.

Yes, I agree that the second is a pullet even though it has less dark wash on legs than the first one. See? the indicators are subjective and one has to weigh them all to get a "feel" of sex sometimes. This second bird seems further along with feathering which is female trait and has dark feathers which again is female. Males will look greyish- your first photo. Yup, getting a definite cockerel "feel" about the first chick.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  3. khybentz

khybentz Just Hatched

Apr 30, 2017

The first chick is also the most 'skittish' of my flock, 'he' does NOT like to be held! I do notice he stands tall quite often.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by