Barred Rocks...molting or something else?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by new2chickenlife, Feb 21, 2012.

1. new2chickenlife

new2chickenlife Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2012
    We have 13 hens who most are doing well. I noticed about a week ago just the Barred Rocks were picking their own feathers off of the back side. Is this normal molting? I have read lots but it seems like it could be that or something else. We are in SC and have had lots of up and downs in the weather....and it has been warmer than most winters. The Americanas, Rhode Island Reds are not molting. Thanks for any help!

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Not normal. Have you dusted them for parasites?

3. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Diatomaceous Earth (DE) is the safest way to treat lice or mites in chickens. DE is not a chemical, but it comes from fossilized marine algae (diatoms) that is reduced into a powder. DE works by tearing the bodies of parasites like lice and causes them to die within one or two days. If you use DE, make sure that you use food-grade DE. All other DE (like DE for pools) is too strong for chickens and will kill them. Even if your chickens don’t have lice, sprinkling DE around your chickens’ coop, nesting boxes, dust bathing area, and in their feed is a good way to prevent parasites from feeding on your flock. It is safe to eat your chickens eggs while using DE and DE may not be effective for severe infestations of lice.

[​IMG]

4. new2chickenlife

Feb 21, 2012
    We have not dusted them as it did not look like they had any "bugs" Where is a good place to get the food grade DE? Thanks for any help!

5. jmjmcelwee

jmjmcelwee Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2011
    Dillsburg, PA
    Are you sure they're picking themselves? We have 8 chickens, 4 different varieties...2 of them are BR and they just started molting the other day (their first). All of the feathers on their rear/belly are missing on both birds while all of the others are perfectly fine. Our coop is dusted with DE so I know it's not bugs, just molting.

6. new2chickenlife

Feb 21, 2012
    I saw some of them picking out their own feathers. However, I have not found any critters on them but went ahead and dusted. Do you dust just the coop or the birds also? I read about making a dusting "box" that they can go and cover themselves. I was told that it was the wrong time of year for them to be molting but we have had a mild winter. Have you gotten less eggs now?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by