barred rocks, NEVER EVER AGAIN

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by miss heny, Sep 19, 2010.

1. miss heny

miss heny Genetic Expert in learning Premium Member

i will never have them again, the roosters are very mean, the hens are okay, but what manly got me now, is that the roosters are very mean. do not have them with kids.

2. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    I have no experience with Rock roosters, but I have a pullet who is great. I think my ideal rooster would be an easter egger. I love the Rock girls though [​IMG] that's the only experience I have

3. MOChickenz

MOChickenz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    Missouri
    My two barred rocks attacked the baby jungle fowl when I tried to integrate them. The leghorns barely looked at them. They are just begging for freezer camp.

4. Ang

Ang Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    West Central Illinois
    The hens are great but if we ever get any roosters they go to freezer camp. Too mean to keep!

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

A lot of it has to do with where you get them. If they are hatchery stock they are more likely to have undesirable traits like a bad temprement just simply because a hatchery doesn't cull their breeding stock for things like that where most breeders do. All BRs are not bad.

6. miss heny

Quote:well i would of keep the 2nd roo instead on of the good looking one

7. 4 luv of eggs

4 luv of eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    My Partridge Rocks work as an evil team. One will stand in front of me and chatter away to keep my attention while the other gets behind me and pecks my legs....hard. Also they don't like you paying a lot of attention to any other hens. If you do they come over and just pick at you. They're characters.

8. miss heny

Quote:BB targets XD

9. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I had four barred rock hens once that I called "she Devils"... I rehomed all of them.

I then got a barred rock pullet that had been raised to almost 16 weeks inside a home and was handled regularly. She was a sweet and wonderful as a chicken could get. I wished I would have had a flock full of chickens just like her.

I ended up selling her, but it was hard, she was wonderful.

10. Kinniburgh

Kinniburgh Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2010
    QUIET ALL OF YOU...My BR rooster thinks he's a dog. He follows the kids around and begs for food and let's us hold him. If he catches wind of what he's "supposed" to be like, it's all over...PSSST that was SARCASM!

Don't make such large assumptions based on only a few facts!!!!!!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by