Barred Rocks? ***now with pics***

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mermaidgoat, Apr 26, 2009.

1. mermaidgoat

mermaidgoat Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Vermont
    I bought 3 Barred Rock day old chicks (among some other breeds) and they are black, but none of them have a white spot on their heads. Could they be a different breed? I bought them from a local feed store last week.

A friend of mine also bought Barred Rocks (from a different source) and hers have the white spot. Everything I've read says Barred Rock chicks have the spot.

Thoughts?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2009
  2. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    Trenton, FL
    Yep, barred rocks have white spots on the head. Maybe you got Australorps instead?

3. mermaidgoat

Feb 22, 2009
    Vermont
    I called the feed store and they're insisting the only black chicks they ordered were Barred Rocks.

Is there any chance they could be barred rocks, or does the absence of the spot eliminate all chance?

I'm new at this, obviously! [​IMG]

4. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Absence of a spot eliminates the theory of Barred Rock. There are other breeds that have the black.

Black Jersey Giant
    Black Australorp
    Black Orpington
    The list goes on and on...

5. sherrydeanne

sherrydeanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Are they completely black? Black washed down their feet? White necks or bellies?

Definately not BR's.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Nope, I breed BRs and have never had a chick with no spot. There definitely should be! Could be a black sexlink pullet or Australorp or Jersey Giant, but it's not a BR.

7. mermaidgoat

Feb 22, 2009
    Vermont
    They are completely black (down to their toes) except for a yellow spot under their belly (in the back near their tail) and a really tiny spot of yellow under their beak.

8. mermaidgoat

Feb 22, 2009
    Vermont
    In looking around a little, they look most like a black sex link (is a black star the same thing?).

Is it worth letting the feed store know they made a mistake? I don't really care what kind of bird they are as long as they're cold hardy and good layers...although the Barred Rocks are so pretty. I'm trying not to be disappointed. [​IMG]

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Yes, Black Star is one trade name for black sexlink

10. gckiddhouse

gckiddhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2008
    Desert Hills, AZ
    Listen, these feed store folks often don't have a clue.

When I first got chickens, I bought 3 Cal. Whites and 3 brown leghorns from a feed store. That is what they told me I was buying. And I asked repeatedly. Trust me. They only had 2 kinds according to them.

What I ended up with was 1 Cal. White, 2 Amber Stars (one is a rooster), and 3 Speckled Sussex.

Go Figure

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by