1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Barred Rocks or Dominiques? please help New pics!!!!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by CityChickens2011, Aug 2, 2011.

1. CityChickens2011

CityChickens2011 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2011
    I need help identifying our chicks that we hatched out from a friends flock. [​IMG] I have no idea what they have but I am sure a few are domiques. Could someone please help me. Also if someone could help with sexing them. The little white one is the one my son has claimed as his. If any are roos we will have to rehome them as soon as they crow! [​IMG] The neighbors have tolerated the hens so far, but I doubt they would be so neighborly with the crowing waking them up. [​IMG] Thanks. Now to figure out how to post the pics.

Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  2. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    Welcome to BYC! and barred rocks/dominiques should be mostly black with white spots...they might be a cross [​IMG]

3. CityChickens2011

Aug 2, 2011
    I will try to post some pics now.

At one day old:
    [​IMG]
    At 2 weeks:
    [​IMG]
    At 3 weeks:
    [​IMG]

Today:
    [​IMG]

Hope this helps. The smaller pics were taken with phone camera, sorry not very clear. I have no idea what the parents are. The white w/brown one and the one right in front of it have the single comb. All the others have the rose comb look. And the black one has the most reddish comb of all. Except for the yellow chick they all had black down their legs and there was only one solid black one, thinking that may be BSL.

4. Saltysteele

Saltysteele Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    MI
    based on the following, which was found here on BYC, they are BR just from looking at the single combs. the Dom's, according to BYC info, have rose combs

The Dominique is often confused with another barred breed, the Barred Rock or Barred Plymouth Rock. There are distinguishable differences between the two breeds. The Dominique has a rose comb and the Barred Rock has a single comb. The Barred Rocks' barring is more distinct and even whereas the Dominiques' may be a little off-white and a little off-black causing it to have a more mottled appearance than the Barred Rock.

edited to add: however, on second look at the photo, the chicks in the back appear to have rose combs. is it possible the person you got eggs from has both, or a mix?​

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  5. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    I see a roo in there [​IMG]

6. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:x2

7. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

Looks like BRs, soo cute!![​IMG]

8. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

Forgot to say WELCOME, glad you joined![​IMG]

9. CityChickens2011

Aug 2, 2011
    Which one would be a roo? [​IMG] not the white/brown one please. [​IMG] Any suggestions what kind might the white/brown one be?

10. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    Quote:I cannot see whether the white/brown (looks like a red sex link IMO and if they hatch out white they are roos, if they hatch out brown/red they are hens) is a roo or a hen...maybe a side pic would help and the one right under her/him is the roo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by