Barred Rocks or Easter Eggers? Help me decide.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by wjallen05, Nov 8, 2009.

1. wjallen05

wjallen05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    North Georgia
    I am going to order some baby ducks (first experience!) from Ideal this week, for my girls birthday. Because I am obsessed with chickens and 40 apparently is not enough, I have to order some (MORE) chicks as well (it's an illness, I swear). I do not have any Barred Rocks currently and have been wanting some. I have three Easter Egger hens and love them. I want to raise one of the two breeds. We had to kill my RIR rooster because he was very aggressive so I won't be raising that breed. I do have an Ameraucana rooster, but he is 9 months old now and hasn't crowed once or shown any interest in the hens so I'm guessing he is a dud. Which stinks. So I guess I won't be raising Ameraucanas. My only standard rooster (though he's just 4 months old) that I have is an Exchequer Leghorn (not that that matters). What I want to know is should I raise EEs or Barred Rocks? Or both? Or neither? Which breed would sell better and which rooster would be the least aggressive (typically) or is their no such thing?
    Thanks!!

Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
  2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I wouldn't give up on your Americauna rooster yet. Some are just slow to develop/mature. Well...with barred rocks you know what you're getting appearance-wise. I love my little barred girl!! With EEs, you'll get a great variation in looks. My EE is lovely, but not nearly as affectionate as my BR. Personally, I like variety, and would try a few of both...

3. jen5680

jen5680 Southside Silkie Shack

Jun 18, 2009
    SW Ohio
    I would try some of each too. My neighbor has EE and they are very mellow.
    I have BR and they are soooo sweet. Mine like to jump up on your lap and they
    LOVE to eat!!

4. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    None of our Ameraucana roos crow here..I sold one several months ago and his new owner just told me a few days ago he finally crowed there..However,they know more about hens than they let on [​IMG] I think they are just smart enough to know Leghorns make so much noise there is no need for them to try to compete..can you tell we have lots of Leghorns here in all colors [​IMG]
    We also have Barred Rocks and love them all..they are very sweet birds but lack a lot of variation in color.Our pastures look like a chicken rainbow.It's so nice to walk out and see buff,white,stripes,spots,black,red,brown and everything in between.
    I vote both.If you only have 40 chickens your only getting started with the addiction so need more chickens..need more chickens..need more chickens.Then get an incubator..a BIG incubator and HATCH HATCH HATCH Ok I do need help [​IMG]

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Both! I adore BRs and EEs are so interesting, as well as their egg colors being wonderful.

6. wjallen05

wjallen05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    North Georgia
    get an incubator..a BIG incubator and HATCH HATCH HATCH Ok I do need help

oh don't worry, I have two incubators!! [​IMG]

I was REALLY feeling some Barred Rocks but then I noticed that they don't have any available for an 11/11 ship date which is when I wanted to order them since my girls birthdays are tomorrow and tuesday.... their duckies should arrive thurs or friday. BUMMER! Maybe I'll call and see if they have any anyway.

So you guys think my Ameraucana rooster is a "real" rooster???​

7. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    I agree with Speckledhen, get both. Also do not give up on your Ameraucana rooster just yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by