Barred Rocks or Light Brahmas?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Blue Ridge Hillbilly, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Blue Ridge Hillbilly

Blue Ridge Hillbilly Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2009
    Western NC
    I have just finished my new chicken house and I am about ready to order some new chicks. I used to keep a flock of Barred Rocks many years ago. I enjoyed them and they are my first choice. However, I have been reading a little about Light Brahmas. They are brown egg layers also and are said to be a gentle bird. Other than that, I don't know much about them. Does anyone who has experience with both breeds give me your opinion as to how they compare? I appreciate your imput.

2. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    I just really love BRs, they are gentle and easy to handle.

3. heathersboers

heathersboers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    wilson
    Barred rocks.....great layers and beautiful....we have both.light Brahmas look plain compared to a good br.

4. jennh

jennh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2007
    Lititz
    Lt Brahmas are beautiful, and very gentle, BUT if you want eggs, don't go for them. You'll get much more egg production from a BR. Check out this site, it gives you egg production, plus lots more info on all the breeds.

http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

Jen

Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
  5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

BRs are much more prolific layers than Light Brahmas, but they are both good layers. They're both great chicken breeds, with the LBs being much larger birds, and more gentle. Why not get both??? (said she, keeper of a large, multiple breed flock)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by