Barred Rocks sex???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by hannah2984, Jun 14, 2016.

1. hannah2984

hannah2984 New Egg

Jun 14, 2016
    Roosters or Hens? We are new to raising chickens. Loving it so far! Have raised these 3 from about 1 month old. Was really hoping for hens, so we can keep them, but I think they are roosters. Thanks for the help.
    #1:[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The 3 amigos together [​IMG][​IMG]

2. ChickenLover200

ChickenLover200 Overrun With Chickens

May 10, 2013
    I'll be in the barn!
    Looks like all roosters :)

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Those are all males. And they're not pure barred Rocks.

I don't know who you bought them from, but I have the suspicion you were intentionally sold cockerels. I think they're black sex link males, and the seller quite possibly knew they were males and dumped them on you Take that as you will, I could be way off the the seller had the best of intentions. But getting three cockerels, that are part barred Rock, just lends itself to male sex links. I'd have a long conversation with that seller if you intend to purchase more birds from them. Sorry.

4. hannah2984

hannah2984 New Egg

Jun 14, 2016
    Thanks for the info. It was a "friend of a friend" situation, so not too worried about it. They needed to get rid of them. Happy we could give them a nice home for a little while. We're in the city though, so we'll try to find homes for them. Next time around we will be more intentional on the process since we've enjoyed having these guys.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by