Barred Rocks taking longer to feather?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickiepie, Apr 4, 2011.

1. chickiepie

chickiepie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Bucks County PA
    I have 5 chicks, two of which are barred rocks. The others are an EE, RIR and a Delaware. We were told the EE is a week older than the rest, and you can tell. Its huge and has a ton of feathers. While all the chicks are growing and feathering, the barred rocks have considerably less feathers than the others. The have just a few tiny rows of feathers on the edges of their wings so far. Is this normal to the breed or what? This is my first time with chicks so I really don't have a clue what to expect in this regard. Thanks!

2. allpeepedout

allpeepedout Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I got 3 BR and 4 EE old from Townline hatchery (2 days old I think) and saw similar rate of feathering, except BR roo was later with tail feathers. His wing feathers if anything were ahead of others. I think even a day or two difference in age makes a visible difference in development, or perhaps strains from different hatcheries develop differently?

3. palmtreemama

palmtreemama New Egg

Jan 9, 2011
    I have 2 Partridge Rocks. I feel like they are smaller and feathering @ a slower rate than my RIR's and SLW. Although they are still adorable. Still a little fuzzyness left!!!! It is dissapearing at an alarming rate. They are only 2 weeks old!!!!

4. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    My BR pullets feathered very fast but I do remember last years roo was a bit slower.

5. chickiepie

chickiepie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Bucks County PA
    Well I sure hope they aren't roosters because I ordered pullets!! 2 out of 5 would be a very bad success rate. I wish I knew exactly how old they are because that might shed some light on the situation but there would be no way to know for sure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by