1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Barred Rocks vs.,Silver Laced Wyaindottes?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by thecreekhouse, Feb 27, 2015.

1. thecreekhouse

thecreekhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2015
    East Tennessee
    I am trying to decide between adding one of these to my flock. I'm looking for good egg production plus a friendly, steady personality. Which breed would you recommend? Thanks!

2. Janay

Janay Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2013
    Cape Cod, MA
    My Coop
    I would choose the Wyandottes as Barred Rocks can be bossy. But I don't know much else about either. BYC has some good info about different breeds.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I've had both, and they're pretty much the same as far as I could tell. Individual birds vary, of course, but neither my Rocks or Wyandottes were exceptionally bossy or mean to other birds. I'm not a pet bird person, so not sure how they'd do being handled. I think the Rocks may lay a touch better than the Wyandottes, and the Wyandottes are a bit heavier so eat more. My birds were all hatchery stock also.

4. mrskenmore

mrskenmore Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2014
    I love my barred rock! She is not bossy at all and also on the quieter side. She lays beautiful brown eggs frequently and loves to be be held and loved!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by