barred rocks, when do you think they will lay? pics included.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by phoenix rooster, Oct 22, 2008.

1. phoenix rooster

phoenix rooster Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2008
    Portland, OR
    any guesses on how much longer until they lay? I think they hatched in early spring from a guy I bought it from. their faces are getting more red and feed consumptions gone up and I'm getting hungry and tired of store bought eggs.

[​IMG]

<br>
    [​IMG]

2. chickenchickenbulkbulk

chickenchickenbulkbulk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    OHIO
    I have barred rocks. I bought them in early April..I have one out of five laying right now. Be patient..you will have eggs soon enough. I know what you mean about store bought eggs. They are so runny and the yoke just doesn't have the flavor of our farm eggs!! By the way Welcome to BYC!![​IMG]

3. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    I am patiently waiting for my 4 barred rocks to lay also ....

they were also born in April . TWICE the size of the pictured BO's above , and WITH RED COMBS AND RED WATTLES .......... SO , I know I probably could hold out my hand and not have to wait very long for them to drop ....

You think you are impatient ? I have over 100 in my flock and LOOKS like they ll going to lay at the same time . ONLY picking like 5 - 6 eggs a day .

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  4. chick_newbie

chick_newbie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    South Dakota
    I have 1 br in with 1 slw, 3 california white and 1 wr. They are all from mid May feed store purchase. The only one not laying is the wr. They have been laying for about a month but the cal whites were the first to lay and then the slw and finally the br.

We get 4 to 5 eggs a day and they really are so much better tasting!! [​IMG]

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You have awhile before those girls lay. They look about 14-16 weeks old at most to me.

6. phoenix rooster

phoenix rooster Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2008
    Portland, OR
    BOY, chickens love testing our patience don't they![​IMG] they don't give you a choice, well, I'll post some first time eggs one of these days!

7. cajunlizz

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Quote:HOW old were they when you purchased them ?

8. cajunlizz

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Quote:they don't look more than MAYBE 14- 16 weeks old .. My barred rocks are almost 7 months old and still NOT laying

9. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    I have a flock of six barred rocks that were born May 6th. I am getting 3 to 4 eggs a day now.

10. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    You have a couple months before those girls lay they are still young.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by