Barred Rocks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by koalakat1, Apr 4, 2018.

1. koalakat1

koalakat1 In the Brooder

Apr 4, 2018
    I am going to get my very first chicks! I'm super excited and I want some barred rocks! But some people say they don't do well with other breeds...Can someone please help? I've heard they're docile and go well with other docile breeds.

4 ever Orpington likes this.
  2. Cryss

Cryss Free Ranging

Nov 12, 2017
    Northwest New Jersey
    If you have any bullies the BR often end up targets due to their gentle temperament.

koalakat1 likes this.
  3. moniquem

moniquem Crowing

Feb 3, 2013
    washington
    Well I just got my chicks about a week and a half ago. I got 1BR, 1 BA, 1 SS and 2 EE. The BA and BR are by far the calmest, I wish i had got more of them instead of the EE. Lesson learned...

4 ever Orpington and koalakat1 like this.
  4. 4 ever Orpington

4 ever Orpington Mr.& Mrs Orpington

Nov 5, 2017
    Suches,Georgia
    :welcome I purchased one last year. What a witch with her bunk mates. I gave her away but replaced her with two newbie’s this year so far great little girls. I find tyrants in most breeds. They’re like humans always a nut somewhere.

Blooms&Brood and koalakat1 like this.
  5. imnukensc

imnukensc Crowing

May 22, 2017
    SC Midlands
    All I have are Barred Rocks so I don't know how they do with other breeds, but the ones I have are very calm and friendly birds.

koalakat1 likes this.
  6. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. .....

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    I've kept barred rocks in multiple mixed flocks and not noted any issues

Blooms&Brood and koalakat1 like this.
  7. Rachel Taylor

Rachel Taylor Crowing

Aug 17, 2017
    Virginia
    I just got 11 chicks about four weeks ago and I also wanted barred rocks. Unfortunately they only have one but I got her and she is probably the calmest of the bunch she seems to get along well with all the others. At least so far She is a week older than the other chicks so they love using heras a pillow since she’s bigger And she’s totally fine with it. But she is still young. That’s weird that you read that they don’t get along well with other breeds. I hope that’s not true because I was reading that they’re very very friendly. Im already wild about her... and she’s so beautiful. I don’t want her to end up being a butt. I already have 4 Rhode Island Reds that have that job

koalakat1 likes this.
  8. squishychicky

squishychicky Chirping

Oct 23, 2017
    Sydney, Australia
    I have a mixed batch atm only 1 week old. The barred rock is the smallest and fiestiest of the lot! My RIR hen is the most gentle and docile of the flock and regularly goes broody. Wait until they grow and see how they go!

koalakat1 likes this.
  9. Rachel Taylor

Rachel Taylor Crowing

Aug 17, 2017
    Virginia
    Yes all could change when they get older. My Rhode Island Reds were very sweet and calm and they’re still calm but they’re kind of feisty now that they’re older. In the three years I’ve had my Rhode Island Reds they have never gone Brody. I was told most of them usually don’t but each ticket is different.My Easter Eggers are the craziest chicks I have right now. They just fly from one end of the crate to the other. All night .

koalakat1 likes this.
  10. Judy G

Judy G In the Brooder

Apr 5, 2018
    I added a barred rock to my flock who was 9 months old at the time and I have a variety of chickens and she is fine with the other hens as a matter of fact because of her, I added two more barred rocks to my flock. They are very sweet hens and get along very well with all other chickens.

koalakat1 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: