1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Barred Rocks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by rimfire1, Mar 29, 2007.

1. rimfire1

rimfire1 New Egg

Mar 23, 2007
    I have six, 1month old chics, 2 barred rocks, 2 black sex links (I think), and 2 australopes (maybe). Obviously I am not sure what I have. We bought them from a Big R store here in Colorado, and they didn't know what they had. Which to say the least P***ed me off !!! but there excuse was there distributor picks the chics up from a bunch of different hatcheries, so whatever. Anyway my question is about the Barred Rocks how can you tell if you have a roo, The one has a bigger comb and brighter red skin under the chin I assume the waddles, and seems to be somewhat noisier. I will try to post pics, I know it is hard to identify with out pics, but I figured there might be a Barred Rock guru out there that might have some insight. Any help will be apprieciated, the store said these are all supposed to be hens.

2. pegbo

pegbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Hi my barred Rocks are hens but their combs and wattles are smaller. Did you want a Roo? It seems to take them awhile to develop so wait and see![​IMG]

3. rimfire1

rimfire1 New Egg

Mar 23, 2007
    Hey Peg, no I really don't want a roo, but if it turns out to be one and there is only one in the bunch (hopefully) and it's not mean it might stay out of the freezer:D

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Hi, my Barred Rock cockerels were telling on themselves by four weeks old with red combs and wattles. Here is mine at 7 weeks old:

[​IMG]

5. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Cyn- I can't believe how big your babies are now! [​IMG]

6. Venumfire

Venumfire Just Hatched

May 20, 2016
    The roosters will have thicker shanks than the hens as well. Roosters combs usually start turning red at 5 weeks where hens usually take 8 weeks or longer before they change colors.

A great place to get chickens both rare exotic breeds and the more common egg layers is from a family in Strasburg on CL.
    http://eastco.craigslist.org/pet/5729807058.html They are great folks that share tips and a booklet on raising chickens and help determine the best breed for your family. You can also get organic feed there. They have all age ranges and guarantee sexing which is great for those that live in the city. They will also give you $5 credit if you need to replace a rooster that you purchased from someone else. This might be the best thing for you if your Barred rock is a roo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by