barred rocks?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sheila3935, Jul 20, 2010.

1. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    This may sound silly to some who haved had chickens before but being a newbie I need to know. I have what the lady who sold them to me are 6 to 7 week old barred rock pullets. They all have mostly gray feet and have since they were about 15 days old. 4 of they 6 have very red and large combs and wattles. 1 is light colored feathers the rest are pretty dark. 1 has a kinda big comb but still pale and not too much of a wattle. the last has a pea comb no wattle and much darker and more spotty than barred. I am really worried I have 5 roos and only 1 pullet. Im not going to ask the lady that sold them to me cause I took 4 of them to her a week agao and she said only 2 roos, and didnt want to change them out. I dont trust her now. I have some oics but they really dont show the right color some look darker than the pics came out but here they are
    [​IMG]penguin a roo
    [​IMG] sweet pea pullet
    [​IMG] olive oyl a pullet?
    [​IMG] lindy positive roo
    What do yall think?

2. Yard full o' rocks

Yard full o' rocks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Cartersville, Georgia
    Unfortunately I think you have 3 cockerels (roos) and 1 pullet (sweet pea)

3. sheila3935

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    Thats what I was afraid of. Guess Ill have to find homes for some of these boys. Hate to as they are all so sweet, but cant have 5 roos LOL

4. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Yard full o' rocks :

Unfortunately I think you have 3 cockerels (roos) and 1 pullet (sweet pea)

Ditto!​

5. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    Top and Bottom Roos hold judgement for #3 I have hens that have the same type comb, any sharp hackles or long saddle feathers on #3? I say hen for #3 Oliveoil.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  6. sheila3935

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    No pointed saddle or hackle feather at least not yet. Olive doesnt act like the boys more mellow like sweet pea. I am really hoping that she is a she. Out of 6 chicks I got at least 4 cockrels What kind of odds are that? Not to good in my favor

7. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    The good news is that they are Barred Rocks..the bad new is that you have some roos sprinkled in there. Of course it could be great news if you want to hatch out some more chicks. Every cloud has a silver lining..yours just seems to have big red combs.

8. 4 Love of Baby Chickens

4 Love of Baby Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

I got 3 cockerals and 1 pullet too!! But I'm keeping one of the cockerals and the pullet. The other 2 cockerals are currently for sale right now.

9. sheila3935

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    Im keeping 2 of the boys one for me and one for my neighbor but she doesnt want him til he is bigger. I have another promised to a girl I work with, Shes going to get him July 31. That just leaves 1 possibly 2. Olive oyl I going to hang onto awhile to make sure. Then if she starts crowing guess Ill have to find a home for he/she. I have another BR but its only 1 1/2 weeks old. small head spot dark color am hoping pullet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by