Barred Rocks

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by gotpotbellypig, Apr 21, 2012.

1. gotpotbellypig

gotpotbellypig Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2012
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Help! I have two barred rocks and the both ganged up on the others! One of them even picked a fight with the biggest! Is this breed naturally aggressive or is it a phase? Is this bad? One of them attacked me so now i have cuts on my hand...They are only two weeks old.

2. spartacus_63

spartacus_63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Central Iowa
    Barred Rocks can be aggressive and certainly will gang up on an opponent. Of course I have found that many Roos will form alliances to improve their standing in the pecking order.

3. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Barred Rocks are not known to be an aggressive breed, no. Any chicken can be aggressive, no matter what the breed is. It is more likely to occur with hatchery stock, rather than breeder stock, too.

You said this is a chick, only 2 weeks old? They are just working out the pecking order. I wouldn't call it aggression quite yet.

4. gotpotbellypig

gotpotbellypig Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2012
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Thanks yall! That helped a bunch!

5. philbfarm

philbfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2012
    W. Sayville, New York
    Wait...I also was wondering. I just traded my three roosters for three 8 week old barred rock pullets. To my surprise they did "gang up" on my other four 8 week old pullets (easter egger and RIRs). I know they are working out the pecking order, but was surprised it was the new rocks that were starting all the trouble.

I had heard that they are usually a calm breed..wanted to know other people's experience with?

6. kathyinmo

Hatchery stock or breeder stock? There IS a difference. Often times hatchery stock Rhode Island Reds and Barred Rocks seem to occasionally be aggressive. I have yet to see any of my breeder stock males be aggressive. Simply - I will not keep a mean rooster.

On the other hand, yours are young - very young. I would not yet cull for aggressiveness. They are simply working out the pecking order. That should be expected with new introductions. Just give them a little more time to work things out.

Good luck with your flock!

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

A chick is not aggressive, not at 2 weeks old. Barred Rocks are not a breed known for aggression. However, if you call being near the top of the pecking order aggressive, you may be on a different page than I am. I've never known my BRs to be pushovers in the flock. That is not aggression-that is their pecking order, their society.

That said, it is possible that hatcheries are occasionally propagating aggressive strains that are not indicative of their breed, like they've done with Delawares and some others. It's not a known breed trait, though.

8. philbfarm

Apr 18, 2012
    W. Sayville, New York
    Kathyinmo...thanks for your response.

I don't know whether they were hatchery or breeder stock. I swapped with a farmer. I do know that he kept all chicks and young pullets in hutches. They were not socialized like my 8 week olds. (All three BRs seemed terrified of people at first.) I have had my other 8 week olds since they hatched, from constant handling, they are really calm and friendly. I know you are right, that they will establish a pecking order - [​IMG]

9. philbfarm

Apr 18, 2012
    W. Sayville, New York
    I've always wondered why people don't follow up on some of these forums...especially the one where we are guessing the sex? Well, I'm following up on my Barred Rocks.

Kathyinmo, you were 100% right. It was the first time I had tried to intergrate new birds. After only a week or two, these three really came through. They are sweet, full of personality, and really coureous. They definitely are up there in the pecking order, but they are not aggressive at all. Turned out (happily) to be great additions to my flock. - I have since added two new birds, and now know what to expect. Thanks again for your help.[​IMG]

10. kathyinmo

That is great news!
    Enjoy your birds!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by