Barred Rocks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by coltsrox, Jul 3, 2008.

1. coltsrox

coltsrox Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    Maggie Valley, NC
    howdy first off, everyone say hello to my my Barred Rocks, who are almost 15 weeks old!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    second off I went on the learning center of this site but it didn't help me very much. so if anyone has a site that will tell me about Barred Rocks or they know,please post it here. In this topic, i would love to hear learning expierences about your barred rocks that would help me and anwsers.PLEASE give anwsers to all! alright here are my questions:
    1. I am told my chickens are Bantam size Barred Rocks, you would agree?
    2. If they are Bantam size, will they grow any bigger?

3. I am told they are going to lay smaller eggs, oh! how small?

4. What color of eggs? brown, white?

5. What's the difference between brown and white eggs?which one is better quality?

6. What breed is known for having and the best quality eggs? and where are the Barred Rocks in comparison?

7.If there is anything you would like to tell me about Barred Rocks,would you please?

2. hwerner

hwerner Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2008
    Independence, KS
    1. I am told my chickens are Bantam size Barred Rocks, you would agree?

Not sure about if they are bantam size, to me they don't look bantam now, but only 15 weeks old. But am unsure or if they just appear bigger in pic than they really are. According to pic, they look the same size of my 16 weekers

2. If they are Bantam size, will they grow any bigger?

If they are only 15 weeks, then I would say yes they will get bigger, if bantams though, not sure how much bigger. I don't have any barred rocks in bantam size to really be able to answer this for you.

3. I am told they are going to lay smaller eggs, oh! how small?

If they are bantam, then yes they will lay small eggs, really small. If they are full size, their eggs will be a bit smaller than other breeds, but not by much

4. What color of eggs? brown, white?

Eggs will be a real light tinted brown, almost beige in color

5. What's the difference between brown and white eggs?which one is better quality?

No difference, that I know of. We have both brown layers and white layers, all the eggs taste the same, just different color shells in my opinion.

6. What breed is known for having and the best quality eggs? and where are the Barred Rocks in comparison?

I prefer the Rhode Island Reds, as they lay pretty good size eggs. We get our biggest eggs from these girls. In comparison, the barred rocks eggs are just a little smaller, and lighter in color. The RIR's lay dark brown

7.If there is anything you would like to tell me about Barred Rocks,would you please?

The barred rocks are my favorite breed. They are the most friendly we have, and love to find us sitting on patio to sit or lay in our laps. We have several different breeds in our flock, but the BR's are the most docile friendly ones out of all. my 10 and 6 year old daughters have no problems picking up and tending to these birds. The roosters we have are also calmer the any other breed we have. If you are a first time chicken owner, you picked out the best breed for socialization and/or pets. Also, if you're going to raise for meat, they are a nice table bird too.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2008
  3. rooster0209

rooster0209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    North Dakota
    Very pretty.

Would you like to come visit me & tame my chicks?

4. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    Quote:4. They lay light brown eggs

5. White eggs have a white shell- brown eggs have a brown shell. That's it.

6. Quality of egg is due to quality of diet, not breed. Home grown or pastured eggs have a darker orangish yolk.

5. BearSwampChick

BearSwampChick Chicken Sensei

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    Well, I can answer #4, 5, and 6. They lay brown eggs. The color of the eggs doesn't have any bearing on the quality. The quality is effected by what they eat. Mine haven't started to lay yet, but Barred Rocks are known to be good layers. Maybe someone else can answer more thoroughly than I. [​IMG]

You guys beat me to it!

6. Lea71

Lea71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Your birdies look great. [​IMG] And I have to agree...out of all of my girls, my BR's are by far, the friendliest.

7. coltsrox

coltsrox Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    Maggie Valley, NC
    wow thanks so much!!!i was wondering about another question, what is the average life-span for Barred Rocks?
    rooster0209, i would LOVE to come,lol. i guess it just started by holding them in my hand while i slept in a car for 45minutes,lol!!
    thanx so much for all the compliments!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by